What injuries do you have?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

I'm most bothered by (can select up to four options):

Feet
18%
Knees
29%
Shoulders
11%
Back
15%
Other
14%
I am Ironman and have no lasting injuries
12%

Total votes: 139
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

What injuries do you have?

Post by nyker »

Almost everyone I speak with has some nagging injury(s) that was sustained from training, hiking, climbing or other activity and/or prevents you from enjoying hiking or climbing to the fullest.
usually it boils down to the below four regions of the body. Curious to know what things bother most people.
If nothing else, maybe it will make others feel better that they're not the only one's with something that hurts.
For me, it's historically been periodic rotator cuff issues and knees though have had foot issues as well.

What about you?
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What injuries do you have?

Post by Wildernessjane »

I had a very bad ankle injury when I was 16 (dislocated 180 degrees backwards and broken in numerous places requiring several surgeries). As a result, I’ve had issues with Achilles’ tendonitis and as a result had to give up running. As long as I don’t run, the tendon has been fine. In the last couple years, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in that same ankle (mild with joint space preservation, was told only not to run). Knowing what I know now, I think it’s been going on for many years. However, I started supplementing and now rarely have issues with it. I do have some mobility issues in the ankle (bother hyper and limited mobility) but it doesn’t hold me back at all. Although I do have to be super selective about footwear choices and replace my shoes/boots faster than most but it’s a small price to pay.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Not an injury, but rheumatoid arthritis makes long hikes difficult for me. Mostly my feet and hands are the only joints involved. I consider myself somewhat lucky that other larger joints like knees and hips are not affected by it. (knock on wood).
I do have a bad shoulder from years of poor form exercise, but it doesn't affect hiking.
Good footwear with insole cushions are helpful in enabling me to hike 14ers, but the longer approach mountains are out of range for me. Probably never get Longs Peak for this reason :(
I gotta get me an Avatar.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Let's see... Wrist surgery, jaw surgery, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, and currently trying to decide on back surgery.
For my peers that's pretty standard and I've been able to avoid any tourniquets and sucking chest wounds, so I'm aces!

Aging is just an accumulation of injuries that never quite heal and slow you down, add up, then compound.

Oh, and when that "free"socialized healthcare with free surgery comes around, ask someone who's had free healthcare (military Tricare) what it's like.
Basically imagine your doctor's office but run by the DMV.
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beas »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:47 am Oh, and when that "free"socialized healthcare with free surgery comes around, ask someone who's had free healthcare (military Tricare) what it's like.
Basically imagine your doctor's office but run by the DMV.
Based on your injection of political whining where it was not necessary, it sounds like you're dealing with a bruised ego from November as well. :roll:
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Basically one... feet. Specifically my left foot. That's a bad one if you're walking or hiking up uneven ground for miles. A neuroma I developed when I was younger can be very painful. I've learned some things to deal with it, mostly not do anything (tight shoes, thick socks) that irritates it.
Count my blessings though as I've never really had knee injuries my entire life.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I broke one foot trail running and the other a few months later rock climbing at earth treks. The latter injury is the nagging one.

I fractured a bone and after two months in a booth it had healed only a little bit. No pain but it's still cracked. Doesn't bother me when I run or hike, had no problem putting hundreds of miles on it this summer, but the second I put a climbing shoes on the pain is immense. It even hurts if I'm wearing a sock that's too tight. Apparently the compression is what hurts.

So I'll be the idiot you see climbing up to 5.7 in clear creek canyon wearing trail runners because I'm trying to keep my strength and confidence up enough for the technical 13ers.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Well, I have had three different surgeries on my right knee. The last one being over 15 years ago. As a result of all that, I just don't climb that fast anymore and I was never fast to begin with!

I also have some mild arthritis in both of my big toes. Most of the time it does not bother me and when if does it is usually more annoying than painful.
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Great. A thread to complain about injuries. :roll:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I'll let Bette Davis provide my answer to this question:

Bette-Davis-Old-Age-Aint-No-Place-for-Sissies-1.jpg
Bette-Davis-Old-Age-Aint-No-Place-for-Sissies-1.jpg (158.79 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

if you’re not overdoing it, are you doing it at all?

my dailies are:
- bilateral osteoarthritis (both hips)
- plantar fasciitis
- achilles tendinitis
- torn left hamstring
- bakers cyst
- disintegrated tendon in my right ankle

when i finished the 52 hike challenge in dec. 2018 i was so sore from the waist down i was sobbing in my epsom salt bath post-trail run and had to make a double appointment with a sports med doctor for PT. since then, i’ve learned a few things.

1. rest days matter
2. there’s a difference between pushing through the pain for a day, and pushing through the pain for 3 months. the latter will leave you with nagging issues that won’t permanently resolve themselves, no matter how much you rest afterward.
3. yin/restorative yoga is a game changer
4. ice baths work.
5. cycling is better for my body than running (and almost as fun)

i have a few other things that crop up from time to time from overuse, but all things considered i had a pretty good season this year! it’s been quite a rollercoaster learning how to manage all this crap but i’m definitely looking forward to medical advancements (HELLO ROBOT HIPS)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Severe butthurt from years of posting on this site.