Winter gloves for scrambling

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Winter gloves for scrambling

Post by Wildernessjane »

Looking for recommendations for winter gloves for scrambling. I’ve trashed several pairs now (generally the fingers wear out first). Maybe there is no way around it but thought I would ask. Warm, waterproof, good dexterity, AND durable? Is this the holy grail I am searching for? The latest casualties were Hestra gloves.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Winter gloves for scrambling

Post by daway8 »

I've been having good luck so far with the Stormtracker GORE-TEX® INFINIUM™ Sensor Gloves that I picked up a couple months ago. Granted that's not enough time for a serious winter test but I've done some pretty good hands on scrambling with them and so far they're holding up really good, maintaining touch-screen functionality even after being rubbed over many a rock. Other gloves I've trashed in much less time on similar terrain.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens ... VYQAvD_BwE
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I use my bike gloves and I think they work really well - they're called, "PEARL iZUMi Cyclone Gel Glove" the last version can be found for ~$25.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I've switched over to insulated fishing gloves. Seems to be an ice/mixed climber fad for good reason, hence why Ouray stocks them.
They certainly are not stylish, but they're warm, waterproof, and more durable than their counterparts priced 3-4x higher. Showas are typically the cheapest at $20.

Prior to that, my favorite for ice/mixed/winter scrambling was Marmot XT. They might be a bit thin for those with cold hands.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I love to keep a pair of nitrile coated knit gloves in my pack for summer scrambling. Then I found out that they made fleece lined ones for cold weather and I was hooked. They're cheap, warm, light, and they give you super human grip because the nitrile is rough and tacky.

https://www.wellslamont.com/product/lat ... f-coating/
Where ever you are... There you are.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 215 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:35 pm Looking for recommendations for winter gloves for scrambling. I’ve trashed several pairs now (generally the fingers wear out first). Maybe there is no way around it but thought I would ask. Warm, waterproof, good dexterity, AND durable? Is this the holy grail I am searching for? The latest casualties were Hestra gloves.
People may laugh, but I’ve had great success with $10 Swiss Tech gloves from Walmart. I tried fancy pants REI gloves a few years ago, wore holes in them in 2 hikes. I bought several pairs of the Walmart gloves a few years ago at end of season (they were on clearance for $3), but have yet to wear a pair out.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I usually use a pair of insulated leather work gloves from any hardware store/walmart. Might add some water proofing.
But consider these a second pair of gloves and have my usual winter gloves/mittens with me.

And the fingers... Nearly every pair of gloves I own have holes in the finger tips. No way around that if you're using them.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:40 am I've switched over to insulated fishing gloves. Seems to be an ice/mixed climber fad for good reason, hence why Ouray stocks them.
They certainly are not stylish, but they're warm, waterproof, and more durable than their counterparts priced 3-4x higher. Showas are typically the cheapest at $20.

Prior to that, my favorite for ice/mixed/winter scrambling was Marmot XT. They might be a bit thin for those with cold hands.
I've had the g2m webpage pulled up on my computer for about a week. I can't figure out how to size the showas. Any recs on if they run true/small/large?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:23 am
justiner wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:54 pm I use my bike gloves and I think they work really well - they're called, "PEARL iZUMi Cyclone Gel Glove" the last version can be found for ~$25.
This is asking for frostbite.. jus sayin’
I bring other gloves (usually insulated with a hard shell/durable mitten) for when my fingers are cold. But when I'm scrambling on rocks, I wear the bike gloves. The big mittens can dangle from my wrists and I can use the bike gloves as the liner. The insulated gloves then keep dry and not wrecked. The mitten shell is really warm for the weight, but dexterity goes out the window.

Oftentimes when, "I need something that performs a wide spectrum of things" is the question, the answer is two things. Ice climbers will bring > 1 pair of gloves as well to use while climbing, but ice climbers generally don't need to hike out for hours above treeline.
GordoByrn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GordoByrn »

Sailing gloves are a good option to consider.
They handle the rock, and wet, a lot better than cycling gloves and you can get them with all tips, or two tips, cut off.

I'm currently running Harken Sport Full Finger Reflex's.
I team them up with Hestra Army Leather Heli mitts - fleece lined, with wrist cuffs.

Heat packs (end of mitt & inside the thumb) on each side can keep me warm in the most challenging temps.
Attachments
Sail_Glove.jpg
Sail_Glove.jpg (343.46 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Conor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:38 am I can't figure out how to size the showas. Any recs on if they run true/small/large?
Runs small. I normally wear a large and I got the 9/L and the fingers are too short, width is okay. I'd size up.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

No such thing as an insulating glove with great dexterity. Every recommendation for an overmitt in combination with a lighter glove is spot on. Realistically you can do a lot of 3rd class with giant honking mittens on.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring