What tracks are these?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by nyker »

hmm, crampon track?!
Have any more clear photo?
RckyMntnHgh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RckyMntnHgh »

I do not have a better photo unfortunately. They were only about half the size of my boot print and no human prints were around. I was breaking trail. They crossed my path and appeared to leap up a boulder.

I’m hoping they were that cute critter posted above.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Well this thread has certainly cleared everything right up...

Overlooked this closer photo earlier. Before I came along there were no other tracks. Never saw any critters up there. Would be surprised if a dog went that far out that high up on it's own.
Screenshot_20201207-123610.png
Screenshot_20201207-123610.png (971.65 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

now they look canine

super pointed, claw marks

usually don't see claws on any sort of cat, also they aren't as pointed with more rounded pads
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

daway8 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:43 pm Well this thread has certainly cleared everything right up...

Overlooked this closer photo earlier. Before I came along there were no other tracks. Never saw any critters up there. Would be surprised if a dog went that far out that high up on it's own.
Looks like coyote to me. I've seen multiple coyotes up on 13k ft ridges (most recently in the Mosquito Range), so that fits. I suppose it could be a fox too, but my impression has always been that fox prints aren't quite as well defined and look rounder to me.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:49 am
Cygnus X1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:41 am Chupacabra
Zero also identifies as a chupacabra. Did you see any animal that looked like this?

2020-12-07 (1).jpg
Hahaha....the dogs of 14ers calendar cover!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Manbearpig.
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

They look like coyote tracks. I had one way above me on Half Moon Pass a little while ago. They go high and solo too.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

kingshimmers wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:13 pm Looks like coyote to me. I've seen multiple coyotes up on 13k ft ridges (most recently in the Mosquito Range), so that fits. I suppose it could be a fox too, but my impression has always been that fox prints aren't quite as well defined and look rounder to me.
Cide wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:54 pm They look like coyote tracks. I had one way above me on Half Moon Pass a little while ago. They go high and solo too.
Wow, I wouldn't have thought that coyotes roamed that high, especially on a snow covered ridge like that...
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

As I insinuated, they're dogs. There appears to be 2 sets. One heavier than the other. Too big for a fox or coyote. Coyotes also generally don't travel in pairs. And they probably wouldn't be following a human... unless you have a slab of smoked salmon hanging from your pack. But I guess ya never know. Maybe you smell purty to them.

Most likely another hikers dogs. Probably some stoners hanging in the rocks enjoying the view.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that coyotes roamed that high, especially on a snow covered ridge like that...
I can attest to coyotes hanging out at about 12k feet: We hiked Bierstadt in August this year and got an early start (like 3:45AM), and were one of the only parties on the trail. We were had just finished crossing Scott Gomer Creek and were making our way through the willows when we heard the shrillest of screams coming from a couple hundred yards away. My partner and I both froze, and I had instant chills run down my spine. Pitch black, no moon, and surrounded by willows on all sides, we sat silent for a couple of minutes listening, before we realized that it was a pack of something howling. I had never heard coyotes howl before, but that was all I could come up with at the time. I looked it up when we got back, and sure enough, that's what we had heard.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I saw a fox all the way up at around 13,000 feet last winter. I don't think I have ever seen a coyote above treeline in the colder months, but I have seen them above treeline in the summer. Not sure on the type of dog, but those are definitely canine footprints. During our walk through 'town' if you can call Montezuma a town, there were several off leash dogs. I think they are pretty free range there.... don't know if one would randomly go that high but who knows?
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.