Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Post by susanjoypaul »

Even though I've been collecting gear for decades, it seems there's always something I don't have and could really use. This was the first year, for example, that I broke down and bought a full first aid kit. In the past, I've always built my own, but getting a premade kit added a lot of items I didn't have and may need someday.

One item I still don't have is a bivy sack. Valerie (I can't remember her username on this site) recommended this to me a few weeks ago after I broke my arm, not that I would have used it in that instance, but if I had broken my leg, for example, a bivy sack would have been a lifesaver for sure. So that's definitely going on my list, along with a new pack that's slightly smaller than my big pack but bigger than my largest daypack, to accommodate the sack.

So...what's on your list?

Oh yeah: If you order something for yourself or someone else from REI, Bent Gate, Patagonia, or Western Mountain Sports, remember to use the links at https://www.14ers.com/support.php. I always forget to do that!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Post by randalmartin »

Here is a list of more obscure items some of which I already have that you might find are useful gifts for your list or for your mountaineering friends.

1] Buff - Great stocking stuffer and honestly my favorite piece of gear. Sun protection, I sleep with it pulled over my face to cover eyes/nose on cold nights. Mosquito protection in the summer around camp. A "wash cloth" for cleaning my face. Dip it in a stream to cool off while hiking. I could go on and on.

2] Dehydrator - Can be a little pricey but how awesome to make your own dehydrated meals and snacks for your backcountry trips. Also a cool way to take advantage of fruits and vegetables when they are freshest and cheapest and dehydrate for longer term storage/usage.

3] CORSAR card - Great stocking stuffer at $12 for a 5 year card to help cover cost of backcountry rescues for you or anyone in your party.

4] Personal Guided Trip to an unfamiliar area or activity - Definitely more expensive but this is pretty phenomenal way to deeply explore and immerse yourself in an area/activity that you are not familiar with. Perhaps it's canyon country in Utah, Grizzly country in Alaska, packrafting, multi-day raft trip, Class 5 climbing experience beyond your current comfort zone etc..
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

randalmartin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am Here is a list of more obscure items some of which I already have that you might find are useful gifts for your list or for your mountaineering friends.

1] Buff - Great stocking stuffer and honestly my favorite piece of gear. Sun protection, I sleep with it pulled over my face to cover eyes/nose on cold nights. Mosquito protection in the summer around camp. A "wash cloth" for cleaning my face. Dip it in a stream to cool off while hiking. I could go on and on.

2] Dehydrator - Can be a little pricey but how awesome to make your own dehydrated meals and snacks for your backcountry trips. Also a cool way to take advantage of fruits and vegetables when they are freshest and cheapest and dehydrate for longer term storage/usage.

3] CORSAR card - Great stocking stuffer at $12 for a 5 year card to help cover cost of backcountry rescues for you or anyone in your party.

4] Personal Guided Trip to an unfamiliar area or activity - Definitely more expensive but this is pretty phenomenal way to deeply explore and immerse yourself in an area/activity that you are not familiar with. Perhaps it's canyon country in Utah, Grizzly country in Alaska, packrafting, multi-day raft trip, Class 5 climbing experience beyond your current comfort zone etc..
Awesome ideas! I love all of these.

I already have five buffs, a dehydrator, and a CORSAR card, but if anyone's looking at #4 for me, I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
mickknu16
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mickknu16 »

My Gifts for others this year:
1) Crazy Creek Chair

2) Breathable Hiking Shirts - We fly fish a lot, here's a real cool & just silly company that makes the absolute best breathable shirts to hike, recreate, & lounge in. I highly recommend even if you don't fish...
https://remedyprovisions.com/collections/solar-shirts

Stocking stuffers:
3) GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker

4) Goal Zero Flip 24 Battery

I have all these items and swear by them!

My List:
1) Glacier Glasses - I've been using GoodRs w/ wide lenses, but my eyes have been getting roasted all season long. Time to step it up.
2) New GoPro
3) a new softshell Fleece (ALOT of sold out stuff right now it seems from the models I want ](*,) )

I've saved so much $$$ not going out over the last year... It's been tough, so a good year to treat yourself & others!
"Your mind is the mountain before you, you've reached the summit now transcend the skies."
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

susanjoypaul wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
New ford bronco or a a Vinson trip? What's it going to be?
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Conor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:47 am
susanjoypaul wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
New ford bronco or a a Vinson trip? What's it going to be?
Good question. They both cost about the same.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Santa is bringing me a weather meter, https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kest ... ther-meter. I was going to get just a wind and temperature meter, but since I'm a weather geek and I was so good this past year, I went for one with more bells and whistles.
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

Santa came early today and brought me a couple new sleds. While I’ll probably use them mostly in the Grand county area, I can’t help but daydream about riding them up some of my favorite approaches....