Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Post by Plugugly »

I very much appreciate all of the great advice on here. I've read all of the previous forums on cold feet, etc and yesterday, I experienced my first cold toes. My boots aren't too tight and my socks seem right and my feet weren't wet. I did stop and put two hand warmers in each (on the toes and at the medial ankle) and they helped a bit.
My question is: if I'm to buy winter boots, what should I get? I'm thinking for long-distance sub-zero, snow and ice-climbing.
I have found a Scarpa Phantom 6000 in my size (14/ 48) for 446.00 but is that necessary? And reading through all the forums here, that may not meet my needs, anyhow.Thanks.
Rudy can't fail.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Post by Conor »

First question is if you'll be fitting crampons? You say ice climbing....

Second. What were you wearing that gave you issues? Were your feet wet? Or just dry and cold?

I wouldn't recommend a "long distance" boot and something you could ice climb in. To me, they are separate boots, but that's me.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Conor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am First question is if you'll be fitting crampons? You say ice climbing....

Second. What were you wearing that gave you issues? Were your feet wet? Or just dry and cold?

I wouldn't recommend a "long distance" boot and something you could ice climb in. To me, they are separate boots, but that's me.
True. Let's drop the ice-climbing since I'm really talking about saving limbs. Oboz Bridger is what I'm using. Here's my actual question: What boot do y'all wear that you haven't had cold issues in?
Thanks again
Rudy can't fail.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 am
Conor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am First question is if you'll be fitting crampons? You say ice climbing....

True. Let's drop the ice-climbing since I'm really talking about saving limbs. Oboz Bridger is what I'm using. Here's my actual question: What boot do y'all wear that you haven't had cold issues in?
Thanks again
Interesting. I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them. The Salomon Toundras would be a step up in terms of warmth and also quite comfortable. You could go all day in these. Personally, I prefer the stiffer sole of the Oboz but these are really good too.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am

Thanks again
Interesting. I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them. The Salomon Toundras would be a step up in terms of warmth and also quite comfortable.
Hey, CaptCo wanted to argue with you about the Salomons...read that last night. That post got me questioning the Scarpa Phantom. Maybe I'll try the Toundras...
Rudy can't fail.
Wildernessjane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks again
Interesting. I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them. The Salomon Toundras would be a step up in terms of warmth and also quite comfortable.
Hey, CaptCo wanted to argue with you about the Salomons...read that last night. That post got me questioning the Scarpa Phantom.
Lol yeah I think he was taking that up with someone else. I think he was questioning the idea of using “lesser” boots versus mountaineering boots in Colorado. My thinking is I would like to extend the life of my mountaineering boots and there are other options that are plenty warm and even more comfortable for days I’m not wearing crampons for a long time. I have a pair of the Phantom 6000’s that I’ve used mostly internationally. Personally, I prefer the Nepal Evos for ice climbing because I feel I have more dexterity (if that’s a thing in boots). The Phantoms come in Men’s only though so they are kind of a sloppy fit for me and I have to wear multiple insoles.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Wildernessjane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 am
Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:15 am

Hey, CaptCo wanted to argue with you about the Salomons...read that last night. That post got me questioning the Scarpa Phantom. Maybe I'll try the Toundras...
I paid MSRP for the Solomon’s a week ago. I’ve done Phoenix and a few other peaks but will be taking them back for Nepal Cubes soon. My phantoms are still collecting dust, wish I had the more streamlined version vs the 8000. To each their own, I’ve realized I’m doing more than most people lately, and need a boot to suit the job
For what it’s worth, I believe SarahT told me once she did the majority of the winter 14ers in Salomon Toundras. To each his own though. The Nepal Evos are a great boot though. I’ve spent 20+ hours in them and find them quite comfortable.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am
Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am
CaptCO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 am

I paid MSRP for the Solomon’s a week ago. I’ve done Phoenix and a few other peaks but will be taking them back for Nepal Cubes soon. My phantoms are still collecting dust, wish I had the more streamlined version vs the 8000. To each their own, I’ve realized I’m doing more than most people lately, and need a boot to suit the job
For what it’s worth, I believe SarahT told me once she did the majority of the winter 14ers in Salomon Toundras. To each his own.
I’m using the winter model just under the Toundras w 200g thinsulate and high top, that model looks sexy. And Sarah T is much more badass than I’ll ever be
Ok Conor, Sarah and the Capt, Toundras or Phantom 6000s?
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:32 am
Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am
CaptCO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am

I’m using the winter model just under the Toundras w 200g thinsulate and high top, that model looks sexy. And Sarah T is much more badass than I’ll ever be
Cubes.. Toundras for most winter 14er hiking people will do on here. Phantoms for pons & showing these morons you can do more than they think (excluding Jane she's awesome) Give me another season and I'll know what to recommend
Jane?
Rudy can't fail.
Wildernessjane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am
Plugugly wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am

Cubes.. Toundras for most winter 14er hiking people will do on here. Phantoms for pons & showing these morons you can do more than they think (excluding Jane she's awesome) Give me another season and I'll know what to recommend
Jane?
I absolutely love my Nepals (Cubes) and I’ve spent 20+ hours in them quite comfortably (admittedly you won’t find a lot of people saying that about mountaineering boots in general though, it’s all relative). People will tell you they are overkill for Colorado 14ers in winter and that is true in a lot of cases but you already have the Oboz for mellower outings. The Nepals would do everything you had on your original list (e.g., steep snow, ice) but the only problem is they are not going to be any warmer than the Oboz (I’m assuming you have insulated Bridger 10” B-Dry version?). I find the Phantoms to be very clunky and heavy but they would be a great investment if you want to get into bigger mountains outside of the continental US. So, I would say it depends on your long term goals...
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am

Jane?
I absolutely love my Nepals (Cubes) and I’ve spent 20+ hours in them quite comfortably (admittedly you won’t find a lot of people saying that about mountaineering boots in general though, it’s all relative). People will tell you they are overkill for Colorado 14ers in winter and that is true in a lot of cases but you already have the Oboz for mellower outings. The Nepals would do everything you had on your original list (e.g., steep snow, ice) but the only problem is they are not going to be any warmer than the Oboz (I’m assuming you have insulated Bridger 10” B-Dry version?). I find the Phantoms to be very clunky and heavy but they would be a great investment if you want to get into bigger mountains outside of the continental US. So, I would say it depends on your long term goals...
yeah, let's back up...are we talking about the bridger or the bridger insulated? And were the feet wet or dry when this "cold" event happened?

I can spend all day in my cubes as well. I'll wear them for a night out on the town. But, I will always be faster in something like an insulated bridger than I will in cubes (1 lb / boot lighter, less stiff boot).
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Conor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 am
Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am

Jane?
yeah, let's back up...are we talking about the bridger or the bridger insulated? And were the feet wet or dry when this "cold" event happened?

I can spend all day in my cubes as well. I'll wear them for a night out on the town. But, I will always be faster in something like an insulated bridger than I will in cubes (1 lb / boot lighter, less stiff boot).
NOT insulated! Feet were dry. Toundras don't come in 14 (apparently--waiting for their reply). Looking at the 10" bridger bdry insulated just found in my size. Thanks again.
Rudy can't fail.