Trail cams

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Trail cams

Post by nyker »

For those who use these to monitor wildlife, what models have you used that you are happy with for still images, especially at night time?

I've used the Browning Strike Force Pro HD and the SpyPoint Solardark. The Spypoint is pretty cool as it never needs a charge though the night images are pretty digitized and often blurry.
The Browning night shots are even more digitized than the Spypoint so I'd say I'm less than satisfied with the Browning. I've used pretty fast Sandisk cards, so assuming write speed it not the issue.
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Trail cams

Post by coopereitel »

Not a real answer to your question, but did anyone else see the game cam on the Am Basin trail to Handies?
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

We've had many celestial events this year including the NeoWise comet, lunar eclipse, blue moon, geminids yesterday and on December 21st we're getting The Star of Bethlehem when Jupiter and and Saturn will appear as one star low in the southwest sky when they will be separated by only 0.1 degree. I wish I had a camera to capture this!
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I bet those would be great to get images of! But, you'd want a better camera than above trail cams for that...
corunner
14ers: 57 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by corunner »

I've only had one trail cam, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I've had the Spypoint Link Evo for the last year. It has worked well for me overall. I have it set to check in 6 times a day and will transfer low resolution images via Verizon LTE at that time. The location I have it at doesn't see too much activity, so I can go a week or more without getting anything. The batteries last me about 6 months with this transfer rate.

The high resolution image quality is good, but you need to get out and pull the memory card on the cam to get the full resolution pics/videos.

Night time has been hit or miss. The closer the animal is to the camera the better. Sometimes I'll only see the light of their eyes in the photo. Attach is one of my favorite "night" shots.
Attachments
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0006.JPG (93.33 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Don’t really have any advice, but I always thought it would be fun to stick a few of those around in different places. There are tons of them all over the New Sante Fe Trail between Colorado Springs and Palmer Park although I’m certain they are all military related.
Oman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Ours was about $50 on Amazon. It's no longer sold, but the night stuff is dependable. The quality ain't ready for Sir David Attenborough:

Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

When I see these cameras in the backcountry, it takes some real self-restraint to keep from bashing them to bits with rocks.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Bale wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:25 pm When I see these cameras in the backcountry, it takes some real self-restraint to keep from bashing them to bits with rocks.
You should see a therapist
And you should see The Rapist.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Nice shot corunner! Is that in your backyard?

Oman, the night image is pretty good - do you know the make of the camera?
Oman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »