Great Place Names

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Great Place Names

Post by Rollie Free »

What are some places you've been drawn to (or repelled) because of its fascinating name?
Sometimes names lose their unique nature as they become too familiar to us but some 14ers are pretty interesting.
My second attempt 14er was an unintended snow climb of Quandary in which we became lost in the forest sinking to our waists in deep snow not having any idea where we were (quandary def.a state of perplexity or uncertainty, especially as to what to do; dilemma). Seems fitting. That day we'd seen no one but a pair of skiers. The next attempt pretty much the entire population of Colorado.

Castle, Conundrum, Wetterhorn, Holy Cross, LaPlata, Crestone Needle, Red Cloud.etc.who isn't intrigued to see such places? Or getting off a little bit to the Never Summer Mountains?
Some 25 years ago I had a terrifying near death experience at Upheaval Dome. A place I just had to see due to its name. Utah has some great names.

What are your favorite place names?
Last edited by Rollie Free on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Great Place Names

Post by SkiFree »

Truth or Consequence, New Mexico

A town in New Mexico that had the bright idea to change their name to a popular 1950 radio segment so that they would broadcast an episode from their town, all in the hopes of becoming a big tourist destination.

Well over 60 years later no one knows about the Truth or Consequence game show and to pour salt in the wound. Everyone forgot about the awsome hot springs in the area that the town was originally named after.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Shitamaring Creek in southern UT
Shitamaring Canyon.JPG
Shitamaring Canyon.JPG (235.97 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

https://vandersluys.ca/?p=340

Someone has already compiled a list of weird place names.

https://kingfm.com/the-five-dirtiest-places-in-wyoming/

Since its where I grew up and it has a lot of off color nomenclature.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Most places with Hell or Devil in the name are rather interesting, lots of places in the desert carry those names, but all over really. I took a memorable 'shortcut' through the scree of Hells Hip Pocket, aptly named.

- Forbidden City (Grand Canyon, although the others would still be cool)
- Mummy Range: never saw the mummy, but wrapped up the range
- Bushwhack Hill
- Haven't been, but Mole Hill is a mountain in VA that has a cool name.
- Law Firm peak names
- Peaks named Needle, Cone, Tower, Nipple
- Butte Pass without the e or p
- Roach's nicknames for points (not sure if they're all his originally) - Captain Bivwacko, Notabon, Johnny Carson (now Challenger), Ooh-La-lah
- Endless climbing routes, Smear of Fear
- The Dude Abides and El Duderino moutain bike trails in Salida
- River of No Return
- Valley of Fire
- Valley of 10000 Smokes
- Million Dollar Highway
- Mosquito trail/lake/falls/beach in the porcupine mountains
- isolation. desolation peak
- Profanity Trail in Vermont no
- No-Tel Motel in Tucson
- Gnarvada
Last edited by cougar on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

A route description to climb Montana's high point.

"Use the Phantom Creek Trail #17 to reach Froze-to-Death Plateau"

Yikes!
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

SkiFree wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 am Truth or Consequence, New Mexico

A town in New Mexico that had the bright idea to change their name to a popular 1950 radio segment so that they would broadcast an episode from their town, all in the hopes of becoming a big tourist destination.

Well over 60 years later no one knows about the Truth or Consequence game show and to pour salt in the wound. Everyone forgot about the awsome hot springs in the area that the town was originally named after.
and, of course, there's Pie Town, New Mexico.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Mussentuchit Badlands in Utah... https://suwa.org/mussentuchit-badlands/
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:41 am
and, of course, there's Pie Town, New Mexico.
And in a related note, Mt. Carmel Junction, Utah, home of HO-MADE PIES at the Thunderbird, since 1931.

Pie.JPG
Pie.JPG (195.18 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Starvation Valley. Not much there, just sounds kinda ominous & cool.

-Tom
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

The Indian peaks named after native American tribes (shoshoni, iroqois, algonquin, etc) always sound more exciting to me than the ones with the boring names (Toll, audubon, cooper, etc).

There are a few passes in the Winds that I have avoided partially because of the names----"bloody hell pass", "pain-in-the-ass pass", etc

Then there are some names that just sound heavenly: Garden of the gods, angel's landing (Zion), bridge of heaven (Ouray), paradise park (RMNP), etc

My kids were excited to hike up leprechaun canyon in Utah based on the name (and it delivered!). Ditto for goblin valley.

Then there are some names that sound pretty dull but are actually awesome places. Salt Creek Canyon or Muddy Creek in UT come to mind. I think the names sometimes keep the crowds down!
PaulVee
14ers: 31 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by PaulVee »

Get your welding done and grab some brew all at the same time at Rudy's here in Maryland !!
Attachments
tempRudys.jpg
tempRudys.jpg (116.21 KiB) Viewed 2576 times