Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Post by Conor »

I've been blessed to never have cold feet while hiking. But the foot anti perspiration is kind of funny. I don't wear deodorant or antiperspirant in any form, so the foot thing seems odd to me.

I have, however had cold feet at work. Not while being outside and working, but when i had my cold boots on inside. The boots are clearly waterproof and made to be in something like minus 40 deg f. If i was assigned to be predominantly inside, i would wear my more traditional summer leather "cowboy" boots and my feet were much warmer. So i do agree with Tom's assertion that ventilation is key. Overly warm will eventually equate to cold. It's a balancing act, and i think some people are lucky that once they get moving, all body parts warm up.

And wool does work. I've literally stepped into freezing greenland marsh submerging my entire foot and felt the beautiful warmth wool offers. But the key again was wearing trailrunners and they breathed and drained well. I find goretex to be a cruel fabric that doesn't breathe as well as advertised and once wet, takes an act of congress to dry out.
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

Anyone have an idea how warm Salewa Raven 3s might be?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I recently picked up a pair of these on sale: and while I have not climbed anything in them, have been out in deeper snow all afternoon and my feet were warm and dry.
They are light and comfortable walking around in but are not a mountaineering boot, on a normal hike they seem pretty good.

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/atlas- ... 1200g.html
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

you should probably be able to get at least micro spikes on those :lol: