Hydration: Camelback 3L vs Osprey 3L

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ksroqclimber
14ers: 39 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Hydration: Camelback 3L vs Osprey 3L

Post by ksroqclimber »

I recently purchased an Osprey Kestrel 38 pack. I bought my 2L camelback bladder in probly 2003-04. It has been absolutely bomber with no leaks or issues on many outings. With the new pack I am looking at newer bladders too. Preferably something that holds 3L.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Osprey 3L or the Camelback 3L bladders? I've narrowed down to those two. Mainly because I'm comfortable with camelback products and there may be some benefit to using Osprey bladder in Osprey pack.

I like the possibility of the detachable hose at the bladder connection, but can't really think of a time where this feature would have helped me previously. Maybe make cleaning easier.

Id like some sort of full shut off at the mouth piece. My older model has the rubber teeth valve which works well but can get leaky of I don't blow the tube out after a drink.

Tube Insulation is a plus. I know both manufacturers have tube insulation solutions so looking for feedback in that area too.

Is there benefit to use an Osprey bladder in an Osprey pack?

Thanks
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hydration: Camelback 3L vs Osprey 3L

Post by nmjameswilson »

I use a Camelback 3L bladder with my Osprey pack and they work just fine together. I use a smaller pack than yours though when climbing (Daylite Plus). It has the valve you want right at the drinking end for easy access. The hose also removes from bladder though that only is needed when cleaning. My line is not insulated but I climb in the warm months so not an issue.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I prefer the closure on Osprey bladders, it's more idiot-proof IMO, the Camelbak twist-closure can get cross-threaded. I actually quite like the Osprey closure for filtering water, I think it works quite well since the whole bladder can be completely upright and it kind of holds the filter as long as you have the bag propped up between your knees well enough.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, really. The only deal breaker I could think of is if you like one nipple better than another, as that's the only part that you'll be interacting with all day long. I thought the quick disconnect feature was neat at first, but it turns out I basically never use it except for cleaning, which I do maybe once a year.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

After getting tired of plastic tasting water from Camelback and Osprey bladders, I use Deuter now, have been using one for years. One did develop a leak after about 10yrs but I'd take that for better tasting water.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Been more of a fan of camelbak bite valves, that's what's kept me with them. My wife has a platypus, and the top closure is really reassuring, but I can't stand the bite valve. As far as getting filtered water into the bladder, you can get the same quick disconnects to put on your filter, so you can plug it directly into the bladder, means you never have to open the top of the bladder once you start a trip.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I've never used an osprey one, but my wife and I both like the platypus bladder much, much, much, much more than the camelback. Seriously, of all the gear items I can think of, this may be the one that we both have the strongest opinions on. It is just so much easier to fill and to work with, and in our experience is higher quality as well. We hate our camelback say much that I would offer to give you mine for free, except I think that would be cruel.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I've been using Hydrapak bladders for the last few years. Easy to fill and never had one leak. Similar to the Platypus bladders in design. I would never buy a Camelbak bladder again.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

i must be the only old fart that skips bladders completely because they weigh too much and are too much of a pain in the arse to clean.

but in my defense, my water source has never sprung a leak all over my gear in my pack.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

brichardsson wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:46 am i must be the only old fart that skips bladders completely because they weigh too much and are too much of a pain in the arse to clean.
An empty Hydrapak bladder doesn't weigh much at all. 5.4 oz for a 3L bladder is little more than equivalent water bottles.

As for cleaning if all they are used for is water they don't really require cleaning. Frankly cant recall the last time I cleaned one and I'm still alive.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I've been enjoying my Camelback 3L. Only issue I ever had was a pinhole 8 years ago. I thought I was just sweating a lot then realized my bladder was almost empty. I use to have a platypus 4L bladder years back, but I stopped using it because 4L of water gets heavy after a few miles. Other than that, it was great!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:15 am As for cleaning if all they are used for is water they don't really require cleaning. Frankly cant recall the last time I cleaned one and I'm still alive.
Store them in the freezer.

I've had terrible luck with all bladders - I can look at one and it can spring a leak. Pinholes, mostly - and those just can't be field fixed. I've not found my one-true bladder, but I have found one that comes in a durable sleep that actual survived a season:

https://seatosummitusa.com/products/pack-tap

Even survived a few days out in a cache.

I don't use hoses, as I just use this to refill bottles - cycling-style bottles have worked for me for forever. Get a big ol' Smart Water Bottle (or two) and if those go south, just throw them in the recycling - save money for post-hike burgers.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I, personally, think Deuter has the best-designed bladders on the market. That said, I don't own one mainly 'cause I *rarely* use a bladder any more.