14ers.com Username Inspiration/Reason/Whatever

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers.com Username Inspiration/Reason/Whatever

Post by greenonion »

With a new year and new 14er members among us I thought it might be fun to resurrect this topic for a while. Hope it’s ok to re-do one’s own forum post! Any takers from squirellysquirrels, headsizeburritos, or...??
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MN teleMARKer »

Not that creative, but I’ll start.

1. I’m from Minnesota
2. I freeheel ski (telemark)
3. My name is Mark

Combined: MN teleMARKer
Wake up every day with a purpose
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

My last name is Conger, and in high school people creatively called me "C". Then the rap group Westside Connection hit the charts, and C became Dub C (which Westside Connection used as their abbreviation, you know, when it rhymed).

Then the Big Lebowski came out and Dub C became "The Dubber", like "The Dude". Or La Dubois or El Dubrey, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

Then one day in college I was playing basketball at the rec center and I was hot. Really hot. There was no reason to pass the ball as I was tearing it up. Deep 3s, slashing drives, elbow jumpers. All fell. My friend Quan exclaimed "it's the hoopin' dub-show!" And I became Dubshow.

Then I really came to like Outkast and Andre2000 changed his name to Andre3000 because the year 2000 had already come and 2000 was no longer futuristic. So I named myself Dubsho3000.

Do I win most convoluted?

My avatar is a picture I took of a ptarmigan that I attempted to make look like an Andy Warhol mass-production type art thing. Did it work?

And now that you know a little more about me (kind of), anyone want to climb Quandary on Monday or Tuesday?
Last edited by dubsho3000 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

because I hike in the rockies
Hiking when possible
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

greenonion wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:46 am Any takers from squirellysquirrels, headsizeburritos, or...??
Well since I was asked... It's a reference to S1E4 of the show Bojack Horseman. Two characters are discussing either going to an art exhibit or to "burritos the size of your head day" at a Mexican restaurant. A later scene shows them wearing shirts with the image used as my avatar. It's one of my favorite shows and I also love burritos. CO is great so far, but I do miss the food in SoCal a bit.
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

myfeetrock wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm I use to run around barefoot from as far back as I can remember. I ran track barefoot until the rule came about that you had to wear shoes. In the 3rd grade, my brother and I ran against 5th graders during the summer track season. The only time I put shoes was if we went somewhere. My feet were so tough that when I cut my big toe open in the crease where the toe meets the foot, the doctor bent the needle trying to get it through the skin. I never found what cut the skin. I remember him shaking his head then pulling the needle out bent. About 15 years ago I stepped on a wire or something sticking out of the ground, and ended up with blood poisoning. I keep my shoes on now. Anyway. One day out running around on the rocks barefoot, someone told me " your feet rock". My feet rock? That's cool. The name stuck.
I like barefoot hiking too! There are dozens of us!! Have you done any 14ers barefoot?
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

To HeadSizedBurritos ^

Alfonso's (1022 S 21st St Colorado Springs) serves the "El Gordito" burrito.
They break down a LARGE cardboard box to serve it for take out.

The last time we ordered one, it took 3 days for the wife unit and I
to consume it.

AWESOME!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Monte Meals wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:02 pm To HeadSizedBurritos ^

Alfonso's (1022 S 21st St Colorado Springs) serves the "El Gordito" burrito.

The last time we ordered one, it took 3 days for the wife unit and I
to consume it.

AWESOME!
I cannot resist ... wife unit??
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Mine is simple, for me.
The exgirlfriend had a nickname given to her by her father. I did not want to use the exact nickname, so I modified it just a little.
She is very small.
She is very pleasant.
I love fish, and think they are very pleasant and thought it delightful, in a kind of childish way, to watch the family cat Bob its head back and forth like a tennis match spectator watching the gerbils to the right and the fish to the left.
So she was ltlfish. I just added the 99 as sometimes a numeric is a requirement.
When I figure out how to add a picture, it will be one of a neon tetra as they are small, and have a wonderful color.

Yes, even at the somewhat advanced age of my early 40ies, I still found it appealing to have a nickname for someone, who at the time was my best friend and constant companion.

Anyway, I found the thread to be quite informative and entertaining.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

mine is pretty simple -
"nyker" = New Yorker since I am from New York, or one can say "New Yawka"
8)
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Monte Meals wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:02 pm Alfonso's (1022 S 21st St Colorado Springs) serves the "El Gordito" burrito.
I was planning on doing Pikes soon from the crags route, but it looks like I'll have to do it from the Manitou side so I can go there afterwards...
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Well, first name is Drew, so not much to deduce there.

For the latter part, Bill will be very disappointed if you don't know where that comes from.

BTW My kids call me Drool, so it could have been worse...
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel