Honor thy Father

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Mountain name

Middlebrook Peak
11%
Middlebrook Mountain
46%
Middlebrook Point
11%
Something else
32%

Total votes: 37
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Honor thy Father

Post by Gandalf69 »

So I think it's time we named a mountain after the 14ers.com creater, Bill Middlebrook. We have tons of mountains just named point 13000 whatever. So many unnamed peaks and we all know how much work he has put into 14ers.com. Should it be Middlebrook mountain? Middlebrook Peak? Which mountain should it be? Let the discussion begin, and the election is over, let's keep it civil people, thanks
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Honor thy Father

Post by Scott P »

Gandalf69 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:44 am Should it be Middlebrook mountain? Middlebrook Peak? Which mountain should it be?
It should be none of the above. By law you can only offically name a natural feature after someone who is dead and he or she must have been dead for at least five years. Unless anyone is here is wishing that Bill would be dead, it should be none of the above.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Bill won't like this idea. He has to be dead first.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am
Gandalf69 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:44 am Should it be Middlebrook mountain? Middlebrook Peak? Which mountain should it be?
It should be none of the above. By law you can only offically name a natural feature after someone who is dead and he or she must have been dead for at least five years. Unless anyone is here is wishing that Bill would be dead, it should be none of the above.
I did not know mountains can only be named after people are dead, and 5 years? Maybe we should change the laws. We have so many unnamed 13ers and we all know how awesome 14ers.com is. I'm definitely not wishing death on bill, I just think he should be rewarded for all his hard work.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
yaktoleft13
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

d_baker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am Bill won't like this idea. He has to be dead first.
Is this what that Tarantino movie was about?
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Mount Middlebrook Peak.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:15 am
d_baker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am Bill won't like this idea. He has to be dead first.
Is this what that Tarantino movie was about?
:lol: :lol:
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Middlebrook Benchmark

14ers.com is the website against which all other hiking sites are measured. I'm guessing it would also get around the whole death issue.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Gandalf69 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 amI did not know mountains can only be named after people are dead, and 5 years?
If you want to read the rule, it's here:

Please note that no natural feature may be named for, or construed to be named for, a living person. A potential honoree(s) must have been deceased for at least five years, and must have had either a direct and long-term association with the feature or have made notable civic contributions. Any proposal for a commemorative name must identify the intended honoree(s), including his/her full name, birth and death dates, and a short biography.

https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-syste ... s/how-do-i
Maybe we should change the laws.
No (at least in my opinion). The reason the law is there is because previous to the law someone would come in and name a feature for some living politician who was currently in office (or someone else) and who had no connection to the area and had never seen the feature in question. If not for the law anyone could just go pick the un-named features in an area and name them all after each one of their kids, dogs, or whoever.

The rule is fine how it now stands.

Of course this isn't to say that Bill isn't a great guy, but there are good reasons why the rules are what they are.

If you want to honor Bill, thank him on the forum. I can't speak for BIll, but would he really want a mountain named after him? His opinion on the topic should matter as well, no matter what his opinion on the topic is.

Anyway, a few decades ago I named a mountain in a guidebook after my wife (I couldn't think of another good name for the peak), but somehow the name of the peak ended up on some of the Forest Service Maps. I had to tell them that I named the feature after a living person and it should not be on the maps. I don't think I was aware of the rule at the time I wrote the guidebook, but putting a name in the guidebook doesn't really make an official name anyway so I didn't do anything wrong.

If you really want to "name" a peak after Bill or whoever, and if Bill was OK with it, just call that peak Bill Middlebrook Peak on the forum or whatever. There would be nothing wrong with that and no rules to worry about. Maybe have a forum vote on picking a peak to call Bill Middlebrook Peak, Mountain or whatever on this forum.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Bill is the Supreme Being of the .com and cannot fill the qualifications. Of being dead I mean.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I have no personal beef with Bill, but I don't think we should honor someone with a mountain who is trying to commit genocide vs. a group. I think Bill wants to do away with all trolls. Granted most of them deserve it, but there were a few good ones out there that didn't deserve such a cruel fate.
d_baker
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

No choice for DYBM...as in Damn You Benchmark.