What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Golf, hockey, all kinds of hunting but mostly archery big game, geocaching, and working on my 1969 Camaro. Currently swapping an LS engine into it.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:48 pm My other hobby is coin collecting, mostly pennies. I’m back to 1843 now in consecutive years (1843-present). This hobby doesn’t really have much in common with hiking / climbing / 14ers, although there is one glaring similarity. It offers an opportunity to complete checklists.
Coins are cool. I have a small collection, mainly from when I was Much younger. Ghe oldest I have is a1911penny, and a 1913 buffalo nickel.
triordie
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by triordie »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:54 am I like to play piano - mostly classical. Was really good once upon a time then kinda screwed up the pointer finger on my left hand so not near as good now. I also love live theatre (damn covid!) and opera (damn covid!). I kinda like building stuff - built a 10'x8' she-shed for my wife and ran power to it. Now she'd like a chandelier but not sure there's enough headroom for that...

DSCN8284.jpg
Jay, I am impressed - you seem to be the only one here mentioning classical music. I play violin (classical only). Just last March before COVID (seems like a different lifetime though) we went to hear The Queen of Spades (Tchaikovsky) in the Lyric Opera Chicago. Who's your favorite piano composer/what pieces?
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

indoor tomatoes in winter:
IMG_1369[1].JPG
IMG_1369[1].JPG (117.14 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
update 1/20/21
update 1/20/21
IMG_1507[1].JPG (191.24 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Last edited by Wentzl on Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^ That is awesome! Figures that you have to throw the Christmas tree out early to make room for the plantz!

Do you have proper cage at the door, an air rifle for protection, the whole Lock, Stock shebang?
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Flying(forced hobby), weightlifting, golf, fishing, Bourbon, Beer, and the ongoing struggle to understand my teenage kids. I also love pottery, haven't had a chance to throw in a long time and I plan on getting a wheel and kiln as a retirement gift for myself.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

I Man wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:46 am
Pre-COVID my biggest interest outside of climbing was live music, which I always struggled to find a balance between mountains and music. I've seen Phish and The Disco Biscuits about 80x each ("I Man" is a Biscuits song).
i CANNOT BELIEVE covid has monopolized our lives so much that i could overlook my formerly serious addiction to live music. man i miss concerts at the rose and red rocks
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

Playing hockey, running, reading, golf. Other normal stuff like concerts and things when it’s possible again.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Fish Tanks, Light Shows, and Rock Climbing!

Here's my 2020 Christmas show

And my Stranger Things Show for Halloween

FishTankBar_rs.jpg
FishTankBar_rs.jpg (177.83 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 pm Which is why I'm putting my fish aquarium outside where he can't access it.
But won't it freeze?
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

WVMountaineer, that's an impressive Grinch lightshow! But I'm glad you're not my neighbor.
The lights would drive me nuts!
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Tennis and Rollerblading.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean