Moral of the Story from hikes and climbs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Moral of the Story from hikes and climbs

Post by Scott P »

OK, let's be honest. HIking and climbing can be a learning experience, but once you are experienced at least, most of the time you really don't learn anything on a hike or climb and there is no moral to learn. You get some exercise and some enjoyment, which is great. Sometimes though there are great morals to be learned on a hike or climb. Take this one for example (feel free to add any more as well):

My friends went backpacking in Yellowstone. You aren't allowed to camp at the hot spring, so they set up camp up and hung their food from a tree. They also hung their wet and very dirty and smelly clothes up before hiking to the hot spring.
While they were gone, a bear raided their camp. Apparently their food wasn't hung high enough (this was before bear cans became standard) and the bear got it. It also got to their clothes line.

Anyway, the bear at almost all of their food. The bear even chewed up and ate their dirty underwear and socks. The only food that wasn't eaten were the Power Bars. They were unwrapped and there were teethmarks in them, but the bear would not eat them.

Moral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Moral of the Story from hikes and climbs

Post by cottonmountaineering »

im in agreement with the bear
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am Moral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
Many years ago while taking a rest break at the Key Hole on the way down from my second summit of Longs Peak, I was eating a Power bar. It did not taste good and wasn't easy to eat. I turned to my friend Jack and said. "I am never eating these again!' Jack smiled and took a bite of his Snicker's bar. :lol:
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am Moral of the story: Power Bars taste worse than dirty socks and dirty underwear.
My kids used to cry when I made them eat the banana flavored ones. I've never laid a hand on my kids but I'm sure the scarring they will remember from their childhood will partly be about those powerbars.

Slightly flavored cardboard, they are.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Power Bars, the only reason Clif Bars gained any traction, extremely low bar.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:33 am
My kids used to cry when I made them eat the banana flavored ones. I've never laid a hand on my kids but I'm sure the scarring they will remember from their childhood will partly be about those powerbars.

Slightly flavored cardboard, they are.
I received some spankings as a child, and I would have taken those over having to eat a power bar every time!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I wanna say the supreme advantage of Power Bars back in the day was that you could literally smoosh them onto your bike frame during a triathlon.

I don't think they makes those anymore, though.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Power Bar must have sponsored the swim camp I attended back in 1994 because there were basketfuls of power bars all over the swim deck. The instructors made us take breaks and eat them. I remember a sinking feeling [literally and figuratively] coming over me when it was power bar time. And then I'd return to the pool with a complete loss of motivation and energy. It was then, that I fully understood the meaning of the word irony.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm usually not happy that I'm allergic to nuts but the fact I don't even have the option to eat Power Bars or Clif Bars due to allergy risks is definitely not a hardship.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

I don't do it for the moral, but for the story:
campbell.jpg
campbell.jpg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Brings to mind a comment in a TR about 10 years ago that I never forgot. Author mentioned eating a power bar and comments, “those things have improved a lot. They used to taste like turds. Now they taste like chocolate covered turds.”
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Scott, that's funny.

With that said, Powerbars are actually one of the only solid foods I can eat while exercising fairly hard and not have any digestive issues. They were a staple when I used to ride my bike a lot.