Quandry east ridge snow/avy conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnsandmedicine
Trip Reports (0)

Quandry east ridge snow/avy conditions

Post by mtnsandmedicine »

Thinking about heading up Quandry with a friend on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, but am a bit put off by the current avalanche reports. Can anyone with experience on Quandry in the winter give me an idea about avalanche risk on the east ridge? As per the winter route notes on the east ridge route profile, we will be cutting to the right at around 11,700ft to stay above the steeper south-facing slope. I'm hoping that by mid-week the snowpack will be more stable, but I don't want to give myself false confidence in the snow report either.

Also, is the trail well-packed enough right now to leave snowshoes in the car or should we bring them with us?

Any thoughts/tips will be appreciated!
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Quandry east ridge snow/avy conditions

Post by bmcqueen »

In case you are still learning the site, the conditions reports section is great for current snow conditions (latest report answers your snowshoe question - https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=19208). On avalanche conditions, Quandary’s east ridge is about the best route choice you could make. As long as you take the winter bypass you reference and don’t drift way right into the bowl up higher, you ought to be just fine from that perspective.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

You don't need snowshoes. Maybe some traction for the last push. Just stay on the ridge and don't boot up any bowls above treeline. It'll just be wind scoured garbage anyway.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Dangerous avalanche conditions don't mean you can't hike, just that you need to be very careful about picking your routes, and Quandary east ridge is one of the safest go-to winter routes out there if you do the little bypass. Perfect intro to winter peak. Enjoy, just make sure you're ready for the possibility of very cold wind...
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

While east ridge won't present avvy danger, the trail itself below tree line can be confusing to follow in the winter due to so many tracks and trenches. Be careful. You could end up postholing offtrail so deep to the point of getting stuck there or breaking a leg. Don't ever follow ski tracks.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
annqueue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by annqueue »

Newbie trying to learn here... (yes, I should take a class, I will get there). Can someone explain why it's ok to take this bypass route that goes right across/under an east facing slope, which CAIC is currently rating 'considerable'? I get that you're aiming for the ridge to the north of the summer route, but what makes this an acceptable way to get there? Thanks.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

annqueue wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm Newbie trying to learn here... (yes, I should take a class, I will get there). Can someone explain why it's ok to take this bypass route that goes right across/under an east facing slope, which CAIC is currently rating 'considerable'? I get that you're aiming for the ridge to the north of the summer route, but what makes this an acceptable way to get there? Thanks.
Slope angle is the key factor of importance here - go to the 14ers map and turn on the slope angle overlay - https://www.14ers.com/map.php, slope angle overlay is turned on by clicking the box in the top left with the red/blue/black rectangles. Anything shaded yellow/red try not to go on or under. This route is mostly too low of an angle to slide (there's a lot more that goes into avy analysis than this but this is the most basic starting point for analysis).