Any chance of getting an “ignore user” feature?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Any chance of getting an “ignore user” feature?

Post by d_baker »

Scott P wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:54 am
12ersRule wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:27 am
kebabra wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:10 am I’ve been on many forums that are considered absolutely horrible, so bad that people have been arrested for things they said on them. And this website has 10x the amount of hate. It’s just a bunch of old people who like going upwards but I wouldn’t be surprised if a 14er meetup ended in mass murder

How do you mean, good sir (or maam)? Please explain.
Read the rest of his posts on the forum. Definitely a troll.
I wouldn't be surprised if k-bra is a socket puppet for the capt.
Similar type of responses and gibberish. And the mention of "old people" on this site is akin to cc calling others on here old.
Regardless, so far a trolly start for the bra for just joining on Jan 1st.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:51 pm I know you think little of me Darin. But I would never make a second account to troll on here, that’s what I’m known for on my main. I would say I’m different in person but I don’t like making excuses for my actions online or not. Gonna hike tomorrow hopefully everyone can do the same. Sorry for the name calling ig
Be safe out there tomorrow. Fresh snow = higher likelihood of avalanches.

-Tom
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Monster5 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:41 pm You can designate Fireonthemountain as your foe in the user control panel. He gets on my nerves too, I hear ya.
the only problem with the foe feature is that not only does it hide that user's posts, it hides threads started by them, in their entirety. so if douchenozzle von assbag starts a thread about something interesting, you'll miss it, regardless of who else posts in the thread.

because of that, you have to really, really, REALLY go beyond the pale to get on my foe list (right now it contains exactly two names).

edited to add: and this seems to not be the case. i had a thread disappear while on mobile, i assumed it was because of the foe feature. but it's visible on desktop. so wtf do i know :lol: :lol: :lol:
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:51 pm I know you think little of me Darin. But I would never make a second account to troll on here, that’s what I’m known for on my main. I would say I’m different in person but I don’t like making excuses for my actions online or not. Gonna hike tomorrow hopefully everyone can do the same. Sorry for the name calling ig
I have long had a rule that any judgment I reach about people that I know strictly online is only contingent; I reserve final judgment until I at least meet them in person. The glimpse that we get of people online can be distorted, or perhaps seen through a glass darkly. Some people can be quirky online (raising my hand as Exhibit A), or maybe they just don’t have great on-line communication skills. And there is a temptation online to just pop off without much thought. Online communication can be so disposable; it’s not like writing a speech or dissertation. So reserving judgment is still my guiding principle.

However, I have lately been asking myself: If someone really is a good person IRL, what might make him/her repeatedly behave like an absolute douchebag online? The answer: I can’t think of any other explanation; that person probably really is a douchebag in real life, too. Where does that leaves us? I’m not inviting you, Capt, to go hiking sometime to give you a chance to prove me wrong, and I wouldn’t accept such an invitation from you. After some period of online rehabilitation, that might be possible. But as Darin has said, you need to grow up first.

Stay safe out there.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 am People on here think they’re god and we’re begging to climb with them lol. Don’t worry about me bud! OverNOut old farts
See, now you’ve gone and pointed out an example of my own poor on-line communication skills. I did not mean to suggest that I think of myself as a “god.” I certainly am not.

I meant, given my self-stated guiding principle of reserving judgment until after meeting someone in person, that you or someone else might think that I might think we should meet in person. I just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding here: I do not think that.

I also meant to suggest that you should contemplate that, if someone like me – who has until now been a bystander to the train wreck that is CaptCO – would come out of the woodwork to chastise you, how many potential partners or mentors who are still only bystanders are you turning off? As someone else has suggested, there is that “silent majority” to consider.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I am pretty bored today, so I'll engage.

Confucius said that when someone wrongs you in any way, the most productive course of action for you is to reflect on what you could have done differently to avoid that situation. It seems like a weird concept, but if you think about it, you have nothing to gain from criticizing someone else. Perhaps venting and revenge. But you have a lot to gain from self-reflection. For instance, once I had a manager who was so difficult, would always be shouting and losing his temper, and so very inappropriate for a business setting. Short of quitting or reporting him to HR, what else could I do? So I reflected on how to deal with him differently so as to not trigger him. So I changed my ways with him. He become more bearable and my career became more successful.

So, this doesn't directly translate to the situation here. But it doesn't hurt to reflect on one question. Did this forum cause CaptCo persona? At times, this forum and some folks in this forum can be quite obnoxious. It can trigger people, specially when all you wanted was to feel part of this community. The constant reminder that you are not - "you are newbie", "shut up and learn", "go back to Florida", "you called SAR", etc - can be heartcrushing. So, maybe, our collective new year's resolution should be to become a more welcoming and tolerant community, and always calling people out for being otherwise?

I am not making excuses for anyone. I just find this virtual lynching to be a total waste of time.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 pm I am pretty bored today, so I'll engage.

Confucius said that when someone wrongs you in any way, the most productive course of action for you is to reflect on what you could have done differently to avoid that situation. It seems like a weird concept, but if you think about it, you have nothing to gain from criticizing someone else. Perhaps venting and revenge. But you have a lot to gain from self-reflection. For instance, once I had a manager who was so difficult, would always be shouting and losing his temper, and so very inappropriate for a business setting. Short of quitting or reporting him to HR, what else could I do? So I reflected on how to deal with him differently so as to not trigger him. So I changed my ways with him. He become more bearable and my career became more successful.

So, this doesn't directly translate to the situation here. But it doesn't hurt to reflect on one question. Did this forum cause CaptCo persona? At times, this forum and some folks in this forum can be quite obnoxious. It can trigger people, specially when all you wanted was to feel part of this community. The constant reminder that you are not - "you are newbie", "shut up and learn", "go back to Florida", "you called SAR", etc - can be heartcrushing. So, maybe, our collective new year's resolution should be to become a more welcoming and tolerant community, and always calling people out for being otherwise?

I am not making excuses for anyone. I just find this virtual lynching to be a total waste of time.
I don't think the word lynching is appropriate. Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Tornadoman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm
ker0uac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 pm I am pretty bored today, so I'll engage.

I don't think the word lynching is appropriate. Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?
I already did reflect. I see you have been a member here for 14yrs, so in a way, you are one of the founding members of it. So obviously, you feel somewhat bothered by what you see as a criticism to something you helped build. It's difficult to see fault in something we love so much. I don't criticize it bc I don't like it. I criticize it because I want it to be the best that it can be for everyone.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:51 pm

I already did reflect. I see you have been a member here for 14yrs, so in a way, you are one of the founding members of it. So obviously, you feel somewhat bothered by what you see as a criticism to something you helped build. It's difficult to see fault in something we love so much. I don't criticize it bc I don't like it. I criticize it because I want it to be the best that it can be for everyone.
I think you may have missed his point about the use of that word lol
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I asked about your insensitive word choice and you deflected by trying to guess my feelings versus reflecting on why you chose to use that word.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Confucius was right.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Tornadoman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm

I asked about your insensitive word choice and you deflected by trying to guess my feelings versus reflecting on why you chose to use that word.
You asked "Are you going to reflect on why I might feel that way?". Yes, I did reflect. Now you want me to reflect on why I used that word? It's the first one that came to my mind and I didn't' feel like pulling up a thesaurus.

Alright man, if you or anyone here felt that the word was inappropriate, I apologize. Replace the word with "public shaming", it doesn't change the message contained in my post at all. Can we move on now?