Biking Pikes Peak in the Winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Geckser
14ers: 58  9  10 
13ers: 274 16 29
Trip Reports (2)

Biking Pikes Peak in the Winter

Post by Geckser »

Last Monday a friend and I biked up Mount Evans and had a great time. After that I ride I started thinking about biking up Pikes Peak sometime in the coming weeks. Is biking the Pike's Peak road feasible/enjoyable in the winter? Has anyone here done it this year? I would love to here people's thoughts.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Biking Pikes Peak in the Winter

Post by justiner »

I’d call the pikes peak highway number and see if they’ll let ya.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

justiner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm I’d call the pikes peak highway number and see if they’ll let ya.
This is the way to go.
The year that Will guy (mtnstoke ?) attempted all the 14ers in one winter, I think they let him ride his bike past Glen Cove.
That was before summit house construction, and more than likely, the road was closed to vehicles that day which happens when it's windy with snow to transport and/or it's snowing.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

When the road is closed to vehicles it’s closed to cyclists, too. It doesn’t become cycling/pedestrian/self powered allowed like it does on Evans. They’ll potentially run plows, etc