Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by Candace66 »

Waldemar Kowalewski, on his second winter attempt of K2, noted that this time has been much colder. “In Base Camp at 5,000m, the thermometer in my tent dropped from -33º to -37ºC [-27 F to -34 F],” he said. “Two winters ago, I registered from -22º to -26ºC [-7 F to -15 F].” Kowalewski spent this New Year’s Eve in Camp 1 at -40ºC [-40 F].
For the next few days, K2 climbers will struggle to keep themselves warm in Base Camp while waiting for the next good weather window around January 10. After a first rotation to higher camps, all have experienced how hard winter in the Karakorum can get. Now, stuck in their wind-battered tents as temperatures drop to -50ºC [-58 F], they’ll have to try to avoid wondering, “What am I doing here?”
#-o :wft: Anymore, I'm dying at 32 F! But that's what happens after you've lived in Las Vegas for a few years. :oops: :lol:
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I know Mountain Forecast isn't always accurate, but the K2 forecast looks brutal.

In the next seven days, the warmest windchill is forecasted to be -56 while the coldest forecasted temperature is -108, with several days in the -90s and -100s:

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/8612
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Well, that doesn't sound too promising,

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/al ... -jeopardy/
weakenedwarrior
14ers: 32  1  15 
13ers: 34 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weakenedwarrior »

justiner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 pm Well, that doesn't sound too promising,

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/al ... -jeopardy/
In the update that he published on his blog yesterday, Alan Arnette was saying that some teams had yet to assess the damage from camp 2 being destroyed but no team is calling off their effort yet and Nim's group and some climbers on the SST team had resumed climbing. Supposedly Colin O'Brady and Jon Kedrowski were going from BC to Camp 1 but got turned around by rock fall. I felt that might have some of you here chuckle.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

This s**t is too serious and dangerous for me to armchair schadenfreude through a failed K2 I may be on the side of opinion that thinking one can siege this mountain in Winter with a large team and perhaps misplaced confidence is a bad move. I really think you need to be a small, fast, light and most importantly: an elite team.

Hope decisions are made with clear heads. If they fail, hopefully they'll because conditions just stop them from even starting, rather than unfortunate events near 8,000.
Last edited by justiner on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

justiner wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 am This s**t is too serious and dangerous for me to armchair schadenfreude through a failed K2 attempt on K2 tbh. I may be on the side of opinion that thinking one can siege this mountain in Winter with a large team and perhaps misplaced confidence is a bad move. I really think you need to be a small, fast, light and most importantly: elite team.

Hope decisions are made with clear heads. If they fail, hopefully they'll because conditions just stop them from even starting, rather than unfortunate events near 8,000'.
yeah im not sure what their plan is with a commercial expedition there, and only a few people having done a winter climb in the himalayas
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 pm I know Mountain Forecast isn't always accurate, but the K2 forecast looks brutal.

In the next seven days, the warmest windchill is forecasted to be -56 while the coldest forecasted temperature is -108, with several days in the -90s and -100s:

thats gonna be a no for me dawg
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

From that R&I article: "Goodwin-Austin Glacier"

Really, R&I? :roll: :evil:
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 am yeah im not sure what their plan is with a commercial expedition there, and only a few people having done a winter climb in the himalayas
Resume boosting for their ego and to increase speaking fees. Nims Purja is the only one that has/had a serious chance, as you mentioned, the climbing resumes for most everyone else are seriously thin.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 pm I know Mountain Forecast isn't always accurate, but the K2 forecast looks brutal.

Agreed about the skepticism for Mountain Forecast for these big mountains. The -56F windchill sounds quite reasonable. That is not atypical for Denali or Everest during May climbing season.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

SkaredShtles wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am From that R&I article: "Goodwin-Austin Glacier"

Really, R&I? :roll: :evil:
Maybe they wrote it on they're phone using auto-correct? :-D
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

HikerGuy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:33 am the climbing resumes for most everyone else are seriously thin.
Except for Dr. Jon of course. He's so experienced that doesn't have to summit to claim a successful summit because he knows K2 can be done in winter.