Favorite Colorado Trail Section?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Favorite Colorado Trail Section?

Post by Jakomait »

WVMountaineer wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Jakomait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 am I've been across it 5 times and all of it is amazing!
That's seriously impressive! All as continuous through hiking for segment(s) at a time?
4x thru "hiked" but on a mountain bike then also sectioned hiked a few 100 miles blocks that cross into the wilderness areas and quite a few very large bike day trips. I've spent a considerable amount of time on that trail and for good reason, its AMAZING!
Giver skidoo
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Eddiesville TH to Molas Pass, without a question. I thru hiked the trail. Getting to that section is like the climax at the end of a firework show. The thunderstorms will make you feel that way when you're above treeline for literally days on end ;)
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

ezabielski wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 am Eddiesville TH to Molas Pass, without a question. I thru hiked the trail. Getting to that section is like the climax at the end of a firework show. The thunderstorms will make you feel that way when you're above treeline for literally days on end ;)
Had to look it up. This is section 24 for anyone else following along.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

WVMountaineer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:52 pm
ezabielski wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 am Eddiesville TH to Molas Pass, without a question. I thru hiked the trail. Getting to that section is like the climax at the end of a firework show. The thunderstorms will make you feel that way when you're above treeline for literally days on end ;)
Had to look it up. This is section 24 for anyone else following along.
I never paid too much attention to the segments but it's like 20 through 25. It's 75 miles or so.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

I have hiked the trail many times and the two areas that you can’t go wrong are the San Juan’s (particularly Segments 20-28) and Collegiate West. Both are primarily above tree line and gorgeous. If I had to pick one segment, it would be going from Stony Pass to Molas Pass (Segment 24) where you get to drop down to the Elk Creek Drainage. One other area to consider is the CT from Breckenridge to Tennessee Pass where you cross the Tenmile Range, drop down to Copper Mountain, and then head up and over Searle Pass, Elk Ridge and Kokomo Pass and drop down to go through Camp Hale and over to Tennessee Pass.
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup