Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by Gandalf69 »

"Only on K2 does a perfect summit day become a deadly day".
Chris Kinedle, K2 Fatal Altitude
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 am Credit: Nims
Breaking records :)
Not broken, but tied. That altitude was reached in 2018. If they get above camp 4, then the record will be broken.

I wish them safety and luck.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Boooooooooooo
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 am I’d bet Nims team gets first summit with o2, comes back next year without o2 to shut up the haters. Oh wait he doesn’t have to do that because he’s more accomplished than most lol. It’s time for new blood
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, nor any big mountain experience. Some of us respect the legacy of those who have come before us. Its not only the O2, its also the army of personal sherpas. The hardest of the lot is being done in the worst style. Nims isn't doing this for fun, he's doing it to claim first winter ascent. He should do it by fair means.

This is a widespread belief held among the community
Last edited by I Man on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
weakenedwarrior
14ers: 32  1  15 
13ers: 34 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weakenedwarrior »

I Man wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 am
CaptCO wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 am I’d bet Nims team gets first summit with o2, comes back next year without o2 to shut up the haters. Oh wait he doesn’t have to do that because he’s more accomplished than most lol. It’s time for new blood
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, nor any big mountain experience. Some of us respect the legacy of those who have dlcome before us. Its not only the O2, its also the army of personal sherpas. The hardest of the lot is being done in the worst style. Nima isn't doing this for fun, he's doing it to claim first winter ascent. He should do it by fair means.

This is a widespread belief held among the community
Besides, according to Alan Arnette on his blog, "Nims will lead the summit team and they suggest there will be no one person claiming the summit but rather a team summit on behalf of Nepal. This has been Mingma G.’s plan all along with his Sherpa team plus Nims had one client who was more interested in Base Camp than the summit. Both gentlemen have expressed a deep desire to show the world that Nepalis are just as credible climbers as any other nationality on the planet." So the summit team would be comprised of Nim's team, Mingma G's team, and probably some sherpas from the SST team.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Interesting this is part of your argument considering the legacy of K2 winter climbing and oxygen-less winter high 8000 m peaks.
Somebody is already pushing the bounds of what has yet to be proven possible (K2 winter); let's ask them to push it further.
I Man wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 am ...Some of us respect the legacy of those who have dlcome before us.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

The summit push is starting right now! Looks like it'll be a hybrid group of the Nepalese climbers from three different teams moving together to fix the ropes and hopefully summit simultaneously. Some of them are starting all the way from Camp 3! I can't imagine what it's like to face that hanging serac in the middle of the night during winter.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

timewarp01 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm The summit push is starting right now! Looks like it'll be a hybrid group of the Nepalese climbers from three different teams moving together to fix the ropes and hopefully summit simultaneously. Some of them are starting all the way from Camp 3! I can't imagine what it's like to face that hanging serac in the middle of the night during winter.
way cool, hopefully everyone makes it down safely
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

timewarp01 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm I can't imagine what it's like to face that hanging serac in the middle of the night during winter.
I'd imagine that the serac would be pretty stable in winter. Of course the rest of the dangers would be greater in winter.
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am
Not broken, but tied. That altitude was reached in 2018. If they get above camp 4, then the record will be broken.

Wrong.

2018 elevation at turnaround was “around” 7600M. 2019 elevation before turnaround was 7634M. They established lines up to 7800M.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

RobLowe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 pm
Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Wrong.

2018 elevation at turnaround was “around” 7600M. 2019 elevation before turnaround was 7634M. They established lines up to 7800M.
It appears that you are correct. Strangely it was Nims own team who claimed that the record was matched (maybe a miscommunication).
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

"Around 5:00 pm on Saturday, January 16, 2021, the team of Sherpas and Nepalis stood on the summit of the world’s second-highest mountain, K2, on the border of Pakistan and China. They are positioning the summit as a victory for Nepal and the Sherpa nation. All ten climbers stopped 30-feet below the summit on a relatively safe spot (still on a 40-degree snow slope at 28,200-feet) so that they could summit together in a sign of solidarity. No individual was listed as first."

=D>