What's the best type of training?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's the best type of training?

Post by ker0uac »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 am
bookwise, there's a book called The Outdoor Athlete that i think is more useful for the average person. it has chapters devoted to training for hiking, backpacking, trail running, mountain biking, etc. i can't speak to the chapters on mountain biking, skiing, rock climbing etc since i don't do those (i suspect people serious about those sports could do better with something more specifically focused on just that sport), but the chapters on hiking, backpacking and "mountaineering" are probably as good as anything you'll find in book form for 14er training (the "mountaineering" section culminates in a training plan for Rainier, so it's certainly not the same level of mountaineering that TFTNA is geared towards). i followed one of their plans before coming to CO for my first 14er hikes, and felt plenty prepared based on that training regimen.
Yep I used this book a few years ago. I also like RMI training blog and newsletters.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

P90X
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

The best training is whatever you can/will do consistently while also enjoying it. Consistency is more than a lot of us probably do already.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

This has been my "consistent" training lately...
Attachments
snow3.jpg
snow3.jpg (304.79 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

nyker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:07 pm This has been my "consistent" training lately...
Did you move out of the city?
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, the city was getting stressful. By mid-summer more than a dozen people died in our apartment building due to COVID and our building was under
strict controls which was bad enough. Then in August, a man outside on our sidewalk was shot and two others stabbed the same week not to mention the crime pickup elsewhere in the city.
My colleague was having dinner outside a block away and was randomly punched in the face and threatened with a syringe, same day a guy was running after people with an axe and another raped someone midday in the subway next day,
The week when a bunch of NYPD cars were blown up following all the store break-ins and bicycle gangs attacking vehicles, I said that was it. Since we are not allowed to return to work,
we waited until I could negotiate the lease and we moved upstate to a small cabin in the woods.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

nyker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 pm Yea, the city was getting stressful. By mid-summer more than a dozen people died in our apartment building due to COVID and our building was under
strict controls which was bad enough. Then in August, a man outside on our sidewalk was shot and two others stabbed the same week not to mention the crime pickup elsewhere in the city.
My colleague was having dinner outside a block away and was randomly punched in the face and threatened with a syringe, same day a guy was running after people with an axe and another raped someone midday in the subway next day,
The week when a bunch of NYPD cars were blown up following all the store break-ins and bicycle gangs attacking vehicles, I said that was it. Since we are not allowed to return to work,
we waited until I could negotiate the lease and we moved upstate to a small cabin in the woods.
Wow, how incredibly sad & scary. I hope you enjoy your new home. I know you like the Adirondacks, should be closer to those, right? Be safe & enjoy!

-Tom
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks Tom, yep I'll be a lot closer to a few trailheads. I suspect after this week's storms I can get out on weekends with the snowshoes and hit a few peaks soon
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

TomPierce wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:28 pm
nyker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 pm Yea, the city was getting stressful. By mid-summer more than a dozen people died in our apartment building due to COVID and our building was under
Wow, how incredibly sad & scary. I hope you enjoy your new home. I know you like the Adirondacks, should be closer to those, right? Be safe & enjoy!

-Tom
Agreed. Glad you got out of there Rob. Enjoy the peace!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

sounds like a missed opportunity. running away from an axe-wielding maniac makes for great cardio training.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm sounds like a missed opportunity. running away from an axe-wielding maniac makes for great cardio training.
Except an old guy (not necessarily nyker) who tries to run from a bunch of young hoodlums, is gonna be caught shortly and then have to fight while already gassed out. Probably better to stand his ground and just shoot the assholes.

Although the cardio would not work as well.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm sounds like a missed opportunity. running away from an axe-wielding maniac makes for great cardio training.
Except an old guy (not necessarily nyker) who tries to run from a bunch of young hoodlums, is gonna be caught shortly and then have to fight while already gassed out. Probably better to stand his ground and just shoot the assholes.

Although the cardio would not work as well.
Guns are outlawed in NYC, only the criminals have them. Only the super rich can get a carry permit, and even then it is almost impossible.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months