Dogs on Quandary?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dogs on Quandary?

Post by highpilgrim »

greenonion wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 pm What’s going on with a couple of resurrected old posts? Are we trying to fill the crazy void that just ended VERY RECENTLY?? :roll:
Oleanders are poisonous but sometimes interesting:
Oleanders growing outside her door
Soon they're gonna be in bloom up in Annandale
I can't stand her
Doing what she did before
Living like a gypsy queen in a fairy tale
Well, I hear the whistle but I can't go, I'm gonna
Take her down to Mexico, she said oh no
Guadalajara won't do
Well, I did not think the girl
Could be so cruel
And I'm never going back
To my old school
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Cats are superior pets to dogs for more reasons than I could list, but among those reasons, cats never want to follow you up a mountain.

Beastie.jpg
Beastie.jpg (170.91 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 pm
greenonion wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 pm What’s going on with a couple of resurrected old posts? Are we trying to fill the crazy void that just ended VERY RECENTLY?? :roll:
Oleanders are poisonous but sometimes interesting:
Oleanders growing outside her door
Soon they're gonna be in bloom up in Annandale
I can't stand her
Doing what she did before
Living like a gypsy queen in a fairy tale
Well, I hear the whistle but I can't go, I'm gonna
Take her down to Mexico, she said oh no
Guadalajara won't do
Well, I did not think the girl
Could be so cruel
And I'm never going back
To my old school
Damn. Conjuring Steely Dan based on a 14er user name. Well done! I’m still looking for a dictionary that has ‘alimentation’ in it.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Nowadays there are those machines that write at least as good as Oprah, or imho maybe even better: https://adolos.substack.com/p/what-i-wo ... 3-if-i-had
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:14 pm Cats are superior pets to dogs for more reasons than I could list, but among those reasons, cats never want to follow you up a mountain.

Beastie.jpg
That cat has been pissing under your bed and in your carpet its whole life. Everyone smells it but you and they are just embarrassed to tell you.

But other than that cats aren't bad
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

see what you did there?

I thought, throwing that obvious click bait about the merits of dogs vs. cats, would bring passion from the pros on each side. I like my cat, I like my dog etc., each side sharing virtues and beauty of canine vs. feline. I anticipated a gallery of beauty and love. (well the beauty of my cat would be hard to beat

In other words, something fun.

But no. My cat pisses under the bed. Your dog shits on the trail. blah blah blah.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm I thought, throwing that obvious click bait about the merits of dogs vs. cats, would bring passion from the pros on each side.
The time has come for another serious topic: Gillan or Coverdale?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

greenonion wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 pm Damn. Conjuring Steely Dan based on a 14er user name.
Those boys and that song are still holding up after all the years. Search that song and you get LOTS of interesting covers, many of them good. Who would have though a song about G. Gordon Liddy would have lasting power. :lol:

Even kids, with enough horsepower, rock the song:

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

highpilgrim wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am
greenonion wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 pm Damn. Conjuring Steely Dan based on a 14er user name.
Those boys and that song are still holding up after all the years. Search that song and you get LOTS of interesting covers, many of them good. Who would have though a song about G. Gordon Liddy would have lasting power. :lol:

Even kids, with enough horsepower, rock the song:

Holy crap! That's an awesome cover of one of my favorite Steely Dan songs, regardless of the musicians' ages. Saw Steely Dan in concert in Colorado Springs about a year and a half ago. One of, if not THE best show I've seen in nearly four decades of concert-going.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

Backcountry8591 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 am
JChitwood wrote:Agree with Prick every dog owner thinks their dog is under voice command. My all time favorite is when the dog owner says, after the dog violently charges and snarls at me while the owner is shouting STOP!, "I don't know what happened he's NEVER done that before."
This seems to happen to me on just about every 14er. I love dogs but the majority of dog owners I see seem to blatantly disregard the rules.

While I'm being a negative nancy, I figure throw this one out there as well. Does it bother anyone else seeing little plastic bags of dog poop lining trails? Yes, I understand that most people, "plan on picking it up on the way down", but seeing plastic bags full of crap all over is a bit of a downer. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of looking at other people's trash when I hike, even if they plan on removing it later. Not to mention when you get to the bottom of the TH, there ususally a half dozen or so of these poop bags that people just leave so that they don't have to put it in their car.

Rather than just complain I think it's worth suggesting to people who do this - just tie the doggie bag to your dogs harness! Then the doggie carries the poop so it doesn't get on your stuff, and other people don't have to look at your trash! Also thanks for letting me pet your dogs.
ah, another unbeliever in the s**t fairy; will they never learn?
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

docinco wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm
ah, another unbeliever in the s**t fairy; will they never learn?
poop fairy checking in.. can't be everywhere at once but every little bit helps.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Rollie Free wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 am Was up on Quandary Saturday (never again) and was being threatened by a momma goat who refused us further passage. She kept gesturing a charge. Then someone came around the corner with a dog and she did not want any part of that and ran off. So I would say dogs are more than welcome.
A few decades ago, while climbing Mt. Evans from Guanella Pass with my dog, I encountered a mountain goat and my idiot dog decided to bark at it. The mountain goat pretty much ignored the dog, until I was able to call her away. I was a little concerned that the goat would get tired of the noise and stick those wicked-logging horns in the dog. My guess is that, this being Mt. Evans, the goat had encountered hundreds, if not thousands of dogs before and decided that they were beneath his notice.