Mask mandate on National Forest land

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Mask mandate on National Forest land

Post by Brian Thomas »

Preface: this thread is not about the election or the new administration. This thread is not about arguing whether or not COVID is real (my mom and stepdad both had it in September, yes it is actually real). This thread is about mandating the wearing of masks on federal property which includes National Parks, National Forests, BLM land, Wilderness areas.

I wear a mask when I am shopping at King Soopers and see no objection to that. I'll wear one inside any public building I need to go in (I've stopped going in many public buildings besides King Soopers).

That said, I will not be wearing a mask while hiking, snowshoeing, skiing (on non-resort terrain) on public land where, the places I typically go, there's never more than a few cars in the trailhead parking lot.

There is a difference between hiking on Mt Falcon in the Front Range foothills, where I put a mask on when crossing paths with other people, and hiking in uncrowded areas. We are all adults, COVID has been here for a year now so there's no lack of awareness of its risks.

Responsible adults can act like adults based on the circumstances and location of where they are hiking.

Regards,
Management
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Mask mandate on National Forest land

Post by painless4u2 »

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell them you were "celebrating" like maskless Biden at the Lincoln Memorial.
maskless.jpg
maskless.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Il Duce didn't wear one....
drumpf.jpg
drumpf.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Yeah, right! We didn't hear from that X-fitter dude in a while. :justkillme:
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

cedica wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:24 am Yeah, right! We didn't hear from that X-fitter dude in a while. :justkillme:
You rang?

Call the FBI on me, I'm not wearing the f***ing face diaper while hiking outside with the nearest person a quarter mile away. When did everyone become morons and decide that passing a stranger for 3 seconds in 20mph wind was "not safe"? I thought we were following the science here?

Seriously, arrest me or shoot me, I'm not playing these games.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

MichelleLW
14ers: 58  3  5 
13ers: 41 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichelleLW »

Guidance on the exact enforcement of the mandate hasn't come out yet, but the mandate itself states "individuals in Federal buildings and on Federal lands should all wear masks, maintain physical distance, and adhere to other public health measures, as provided in CDC guidelines

CDC guidelines state that "Masks may not be necessary when you are outside by yourself away from others, or with other people who live in your household. However, some localities may have mask mandates while out in public, please check for the rules in your locality."

So Biden, at what appears to be quite a distance from anyone else, and you on the trail, may well be just fine under the mandate.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Not hiking with a mask on. No science being followed with that one
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

This is nothing for anyone to get upset over. At this point it's just common courtesy. Hike without a mask until you're passing someone, at which point you can either cover your face for a few seconds or just step off the trail. Nobody's going to insist that you need to be wearing a mask when you're miles away from another person.

End of thread? (dear god, please, end of thread...)
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am This is nothing for anyone to get upset over. At this point it's just common courtesy. Hike without a mask until you're passing someone, at which point you can either cover your face for a few seconds or just step off the trail. Nobody's going to insist that you need to be wearing a mask when you're miles away from another person.

Please dear God, please. But it won't be, because idiots on the internet love to hear themselves bloviate
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am This is nothing for anyone to get upset over. At this point it's just common courtesy. Hike without a mask until you're passing someone, at which point you can either cover your face for a few seconds or just step off the trail. Nobody's going to insist that you need to be wearing a mask when you're miles away from another person.

And science behind the efficacy of this?
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Don't worry, we're gonna get this one nuked like all the others. They always do as soon as us dissenters come out of the woodwork to spread wrongthink. I'm not wearing a mask outside ever, period. Anyone afraid of catching the rona from passing a stranger on a trail should probably rethink their risk tolerance towards mountaineering.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

If nobody responds the thread will die - please?