GPX Library (new)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 429 10
Trip Reports (92)

Re: GPX Library (new)

Post by supranihilest »

Bigfoot wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:13 pm What about a tag for NEW / OBSOLETE ?

On Challenger Point, there is a very nice new trail from below the lakes to just below the gully. I don't know how new it is, but it was very different than the track on the mobile app. Which then brings up the idea of allowing a selection for which GPX track to display on the app....
I like this, but don't see many users going back and utilizing it. There's dozens of trip reports with obsolete beta, for a semi-analogous example, and I bet that obsolete beta will remain in perpetuity. What about uploads from users who no longer use the site, or have died? I would say a thumbs up/thumbs down and/or comment section for a given GPX would be more useful, though Bill could certainly implement both; the OBSOLETE tag would be up to the uploader to add after the fact, while thumbs up/down/comments would be up to the user(s) of that GPX to add. The latter would be more of a "living" record as to whether the GPX is still valid or not.

My thoughts for tags:
ROPE USED (whether for climbing or rappelling)
SCRAMBLE (self-explanatory and only barely subjective)
CAMP/OVERNIGHT/MULTI-DAY/BACKPACK (whatever terminology desired, something to designate that a camp and camping gear were utilized)
Change COULOIR to SNOW CLIMB (or have both, I suppose, and automatically check SNOW CLIMB when COULOIR is selected; SNOW CLIMB is more general and would indicate use of axe/traction for a wider range of climbs where such gear may be useful, such as the Angel of Shavano or Sherman's south slopes, both of which are snow climbs but neither of which are couloirs)

I'd avoid stuff that could be too subjective like CLASS, LOOSE, EXPOSED, etc. Those are very subjective and can (and should) be entered by the uploader in the upload Notes field. It's the objective measures of gear used and route sub-type that are important, and even then I would leave it up to the user to mostly fill in the blanks on the gear they'd need based on broader tags (like SNOW CLIMB), time of year, and the uploader's comments.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

supranihilest, this is very helpful! Thanks so much

Bigfoot, that Challenger route line will be updated on the site (including the mobile apps) when I get out there this summer to re-track it. As far as the GPX library keywords, using NEW/OBSOLETE keywords might be problematic since the status of a track may change if a trail is re-routed, etc., making a possible "NEW" tagged entry to become obsolete. :) I hope that made sense.
“No one is exempt from the odds of even” - Marilyn Manson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
greenonion
14ers: 36 1
13ers: 1

Post by greenonion »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 am The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
Hey Bill. Aside from using the GPX Library link you provide here how can someone find it on the site on their own once this thread becomes old and forgotten? Sorry in advance if I’m missing something obvious.

Stu
Wakin on a Pretty Day
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

greenonion wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 am The Upload GPX File is now active in the library system and has search "tags" functionality. I'm now working on adding the tags to the locator map search function.

GPX Library
Hey Bill. Aside from using the GPX Library link you provide here how can someone find it on the site on their own once this thread becomes old and forgotten? Sorry in advance if I’m missing something obvious.

Stu
Maybe don’t forget? Lol
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
d_baker
14ers: 58 15
13ers: 284 9
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker »

greenonion wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am

GPX Library

Stu
Good question and point. Seems like it should be found in the Routes drop down list of options, but I don't see it.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

I have a few things to finish over the next few days and then I’ll put the library link out on the site. It will be in the pull-down menus and several other pages where it’s appropriate
greenonion

Post by greenonion »

Thanks Bill.
Wakin on a Pretty Day
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

Update:

I just added the TAGS field to the locator map search criteria. Please remember that tags currently can only be used on direct gpx library uploads, so all of the existing route/trip gpx files out there (1300+) will not have searchable tags yet.

If you're interested, here are a couple I just uploaded using the new page:

La Plata Peak Winter Variation:
Search Criteria:
  • Peak: La Plata Peak
  • Tags: Winter-Variation, Bushwhacking
Ervin + Blaurock from West Winfield:
Search Criteria:
  • Peak: Blaurock
  • Tags: Bushwhacking
GPX Library
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

I added the GPX Library link right up there ^^ on the main site menu. This year I may re-design the entire site interface so this is good enough for now.

For those of you who have GPX files on the site, use "My GPX Files" to see them all in one spot. This is also accessible from MY STUFF -> My GPX Files, when hovering over your username on the home page.
greenonion

Post by greenonion »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:55 am I added the GPX Library link right up there ^^ on the main site menu. This year I may re-design the entire site interface so this is good enough for now.

For those of you who have GPX files on the site, use "My GPX Files" to see them all in one spot. This is also accessible from MY STUFF -> My GPX Files, when hovering over your username on the home page.
Excellent!! Can never have too much quality geospatial data. Thanks for thinking of, and implementing, a very useful enhancement to the site, Bill.
Wakin on a Pretty Day
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

More updates to the library interface:
  • Profiles added to individual track lines (a gpx file may have multiple). As seen in the images below, click the track line on map and then the Profile button.
  • The results area is scrollable and will show all entries for your search criteria, even if you only select a User.
  • By default, the locator maps shows the 15 most-recent gpx uploads.
  • You can now Edit the attributes of a GPX upload via the "My GPX Files" page.
  • More to come...
GPX Library

gpxlib1.jpg
gpxlib1.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
gpxlib2.jpg
gpxlib2.jpg (179.65 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
gpxlib3.jpg
gpxlib3.jpg (139.57 KiB) Viewed 1078 times