Favorite mountain huts?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Favorite mountain huts?

Post by saxlover »

Any favorite Colorado Mountain huts? Curious about any that have good access for 14ers or 13ers or potential fall colors locations.
Andrew Tobin
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Favorite mountain huts?

Post by Scott P »

Skinner is my favorite. You can climb Massive from there, but it's long.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

I've visited a few of them.
My 2 favorites are Markley hut and Kens cabin.

Markley is really cool and would cost millions to buy (outside aspen) but you can rent for a few nights pretty cheap. Must do. Skiing is in the area but avy paths are evident.

Kens is perfect for that couple who want a cozy/intimate experience. Sleeps 2 and small, but really cool. Skiing is in the ara but the approach is longer. Built in 1896?

PM me if you want to discuss these or other huts.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I enjoyed Janet's cabin, and Vance's cabin.
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

Thanks for some great responses. Been looking yesterday and today for the first time at all the different hut options out there. So many! Taking a look at Francie's which could be a nice place for Crystal Peak.
Andrew Tobin
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Crystal from Francies is really nice. It’s short and scenic, but one needs to have some avy awareness to go onto crystal.

Jackal is nice and scenic, a medium length trip.

You can’t go wrong with any of them. The online route description are a super resource
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Didn’t see the fall color note. Avy concerns are unlikely at fall color time
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BKS wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:57 pm Didn’t see the fall color note. Avy concerns are unlikely at fall color time
I missed that too. Most huts are closed in fall. The ones at Shrine Mountain, Vances, and Broome Hut are the only ones that I can think of that are open that time of year.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

First multi day xc ski trip of my life included uncle Bud, so it's always up there for me.
Looking back, I can't believe I survived that trip. Had like 60 pounds of gear (brought old army Mickey mouse boots in it for crying out loud), skinny skis with 3pin bindings and leather boots, no wax or skins, just the fishscale pattern. That's a lot to ask from a12 year old.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Homestake peak from 10th mountain division hut.
Pearl/Oyster/Castle/Conundrum from Target/Green Wilson
Parked at Polar Star inn to do Finnegan (summer)