Confluence in Canyonlands

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)

Confluence in Canyonlands

Post by Scott P » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am

I was planning on backpacking out to the Confluence (Green and Colorado Rivers) from Island in the Sky if anyone is interested. It can be done in a long day, but I wanted to take two days and do some exploring. I was hoping to go sometime in the next few weeks, depending on the weather. If anyone is interested in going, let me know.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
greenonion
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Re: Confluence in Canyonlands

Post by greenonion » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Scott P wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am
I was planning on backpacking out to the Confluence (Green and Colorado Rivers) from Island in the Sky if anyone is interested. It can be done in a long day, but I wanted to take two days and do some exploring. I was hoping to go sometime in the next few weeks, depending on the weather. If anyone is interested in going, let me know.
Possibly. Would love to go there again. Would you drop down from Island in the Sky to the White Rim and trek across somehow? Permit needed? Mark me as maybe and I’ll keep an eye on developments here.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:12 pm

greenonion wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Possibly. Would love to go there again. Would you drop down from Island in the Sky to the White Rim and trek across somehow? Permit needed? Mark me as maybe and I’ll keep an eye on developments here.
I'd start from the White Rim and yes a permit is needed.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm

I am interested. I have to talk to the wife when I get home from work, and also ask for the time off work. 23-26 FEB are not possible due to work but any other time would work. It would be cool to get back down to the river in that area. It's been more years than I can remember since I passed through there on a kayak trip.

Ed
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (75)

Post by IntrepidXJ » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:24 pm

That's a great hike and I'd love to spend a night out there instead of doing it in a day again, but it would depend when it is, as many of my upcoming weekends are already scheduled. I will be on the White Rim the first weekend in Feb, so maybe we will cross paths anyways...
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:49 pm

IntrepidXJ wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:24 pm
That's a great hike and I'd love to spend a night out there instead of doing it in a day again
Yes, I have done it several times, but only as a dayhike. It would be nice to do it as an overnighter and have time to explore around more.
4thPlaceAtFieldDay
14ers: 58 1 15
13ers: 175 5 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by 4thPlaceAtFieldDay » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm

I'd absolutely be interested. I've been there once on a four day raft trip from Moab to Lake Powell through Cataract Canyon. Camped just down-river from the confluence. It's an amazing area; I'd love to go back and hike there.
Formerly Lemmiwinks

“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
MUni Rider
14ers: 51
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Are you still planning on doing this trip? I'm cleared to go on my end if you have room on the permit.

Thank you for the consideration.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
greenonion
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Post by greenonion » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Hey Scott. I expressed interest earlier but letting you know that I can’t make it anytime real soon. Hope you all have a blast and a safe trip. Magical place down there, as I’m sure you know!