Twilight 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Twilight 14ers

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:08 pm Full moons are nice, but I have learned that half full waxing is better than full if you want light after dark!
Why would this be? Does the moon stay out longer if it's still waxing? Been a while since middle school astronomy.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

It is higher in the sky and provides more useful light when needed. A "full" moon rises at sunset, but not high enough to light many canyons until well after dark
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I went up Shav on a full moon. Left Salida after work around 6:00pm and hit the summit at like 9:30-10:00 or so. The cows around the CT junction scared the hell out of me on the way down :lol:
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I did a full moon hike of Sherman in mid April a few years back. It was really cool to not have to use a headlamp. Incredibly bright. I did a late hike on Antero. I was chased down to treeline by storms, but went for it when the skies cleared. I was on the summit at 10PM. The moon came up not to long after. I didn't realize it was going to be a full moon, so this was a bonus. Handies was a sun set hike. No moon on the way down. Elbert was another full moon hike. All worth it.
Ivar
14ers: 58  3  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ivar »

These stories are great to hear. My favorite: Capitol Peak, Friday the 13th, full harvest moon (Sept 13th, 2019). My buddy forgot his headlamp, but it was so bright we only occasionally turned on our one light. We arrived at the top around midnight and slept there, waking up to watch the shadow of the peak at sunrise, right next to the moonset. IMG_1665-smaller
Attachments
Capitol Peak sunrise
Capitol Peak sunrise
IMG_1665-smaller.jpg (188.17 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Last edited by Ivar on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingHenryJames3rd
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KingHenryJames3rd »

JQDivide wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:18 pm Anyone else feel...
Perfectly normal hiking in the dark in the morning, no worries?
But hiking down a peak in the dark evening feels eerie, noises are creepy, and you wonder what is watching you? Is that a cougar?
Why the difference? Maybe just used to the morning darkness?

Have done a few peaks at night. Mostly just to do it. Was OK. You can usually find people on the easier peaks during fool moons in the summer and early fall.

I really love sunsets on the summits. Few people, if any. Watching the colors change to the night sky, pretty incredible up high.

Joel
Definitely not alone in that feeling. It's weird I have no problem starting a hike at 12am to 3am but for whatever reason try to start at 9pm and I freak myself out. Makes no sense!
WolverPete
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WolverPete »

Safely finding your way in the dark up any peak is a challenge, especially if you are solo. But catching a sunrise from the top of a 14er is an incredible feeling. Should be on your bucket list to experience at least once in your life. Planning to get some Astro/Sunrise pics this year from the the top of a 13er/14er. That would be awesome. Just need to find out a good peak to summit.
Pic of sunrise over Kit Carson is from April 2019 from the top of Humboldt.
Attachments
D85_3355.jpeg
D85_3355.jpeg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Finding your way up in the dark, especially in winter, where there is only snow, no obvious trail,can be tricky.

Finding your way down in the dark, especially in winter, when you have a nice snowshoe track to follow is usually easy.

So why does the consensus seem to lean toward starting in the dark to finish in light rather than the other way round?

Hey Ivar, Nice Photo!

Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Long's Peak some years ago. Started at 6:00 p.m looking forward to the nearly full moon later that night. Getting the the keyhole around 9:00 and the clouds are thickening. By 10:00, advancing to the top of the Trough, where the rock is now coated with a slick layer of ice, we pull through onto the narrows. Then the storm finds us. From 11:00 to 1:00 we hunker down while the weather comes down all around us. Later, after getting down, we learn that this storm washed away a mobile home park somewhere to the east.

Anyway, we take the beating and head down, not realizing that the worst has past. By the time we get back past the keyhole, the full moon is out and we regret not tagging the summit, but the decision has been made and the only thing to do is continue down.

3:00 a.m. we start meeting those starting up for the new day. What an odd convergence. What can be said? Did you have fun? Will you have fun?

Cross currents on the same river.

pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

This thread is about the new Stephenie Meyer book with vampires and werewolves each vying to be the first to claim the coveted full moon grid, right?
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

ellenmseb wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm I overslept when heading up for Belford/Oxford/Missouri, in September just after the big snowstorm. This resulted in heading down Missouri just around sunset. This sunset was stunning, the very best picture I've ever taken on a 14er.

On the way down the bowl from Missouri, in the pitch dark and snow, I heard a lot of eerie screaming/howling. I knew it was a fox because I heard the same sound coming from a fox previously, but it would've been easy to convince someone it was a hungry wolf or a person being murdered! If you haven't heard fox sounds before, they're extremely creepy: [YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4[/YouTubeVideo]
I thought we were gonna be Rick rolled with this. https://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Grays and Torreys 2008. Started at about 2 or 230 am. Had the whole place to myself, at least on the way up. Saw the Denver lights from Grays summit. Then en route to Torreys saw this very striking sunrise:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/download/fi ... w&id=32881
Attachments
DSCN1396.JPG
DSCN1396.JPG (122.82 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2