Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by Brian Thomas »

Nobody's posted a Phil Spector memorial post yet? Never mind the murder conviction and dying in prison from COVID, Phil Spector will be remembered as one of the greatest record producers of all time.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

Here's a 2 for Tuesday

CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Comments:

12ers: Several pages ago, you recommended several songs (not to me). I looked them all up and particularly liked the Naked Giants. Thought of them again recently as I heard a different song on 105.5 a couple of days ago that really rocked. This is the one:

All: I did also like the Elton John movie more than I thought I would. I like him, but I haven't been a huge fan. But the way the movie incorporated his music was really cool.

Brian: It's always a conundrum evaluating an artist's contributions against their personal flaws. Actually, Mingus is sorta like that - although not nearly on the scale of murder. I've read that he was the only person that Duke Ellington ever personally fired. Apparently, he got into an altercation with Juan Tizol. Looking it up again now, I apparently was mis-remembering what I read about this, because I thought Mingus had pulled a knife. This article says Tizol was the one with the knife.

Fire: On that subject, if you liked the Mingus I shared, check out Money Jungle (if you're not already familiar) with the supergroup of Duke Ellington on piano, Max Roach on drums, and Mingus on bass:

Oh, yeah, and Darin, really like the North MS All-Stars contributions, especially Up and Rolling.
Last edited by CarpeDM on Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

CarpeDM wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:01 am Oh, yeah, and Darin, really like the North MS All-Stars contributions, especially Up and Rolling.
Good call! Here's one more:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Derek Trucks with Trey Anastasio.....

"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
CarpeDM
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

SunNFun wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:29 am Here's a 2 for Tuesday
I saw them open for ZZ Top in about '88 or '89 (?? Eliminator tour ??). They knocked our socks off; they were really headliner quality already.

Hmm. Way back when, when I taught myself 'She Talks to Angels' on guitar - just by ear - I didn't get the open tuning part.

That's a f***ing awesome Velvet Underground cover, too.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

You guys are going into some deep tracks. Here is Steve Wynn & Co at Mellow Johnny's, of all places.
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

CarpeDM wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:01 pm
SunNFun wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:29 am Here's a 2 for Tuesday
I saw them open for ZZ Top in about '88 or '89 (?? Eliminator tour ??). They knocked our socks off; they were really headliner quality already.
I haven't seen them live unfortunately but do really enjoy their stuff. I have seen ZZ Top when they were on their El Loco-Motion tour.
CarpeDM
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Clearly not the Eliminator tour. Must've been the Recycler tour; that came out in the right time frame.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

So ridiculously classic...

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ That's a good point, after so many years of this thread we never mentioned Morphine or Treat Her Right. Some terrible parenting right there, sorry kids!
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

^That was definitely worth a watch.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?