Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
montanahiker
14ers: 28
13ers: 108

Re: Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Post by montanahiker »

douglas wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 am
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 am and will probably not make the cut
Is this something that we have to try out for? When are the auditions?
I'd like to announce that I am formally suspending my candidacy for Vice Climber 2021.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion. From their lofty summits I view my past, dream of the future and, with an unusual acuity, am allowed to experience the present moment. On each journey I am reborn." - Anatoli Boukreev
Jbroscious
14ers: List not added

Post by Jbroscious »

Lol..no auditions guys and gals. I just do not mess around with mother nature.

There may be a group meet up from anyone that wants to join. It is merely a suggestion for interest in my routine. I normally get up at 5am at home. I got caught in 5 storms last year. Mt. Princeton hike the weather turned on me and got really foggy. I got lost going up and going down. If it weren't for my skills and navigation experience an average good hiker would have been screwed. My trip to Mt. Bross, Democrat, Lincoln, and Cameron was brutal. Up high on the ridge to Bross 80 mph winds came from out of nowhere. A guy that was hiking in front of me got blown over and almost off the ridge. I almost got blown off the ridge. Colorado weather is pretty predicable otherwise, but every now and then it wants to kill you. I don't want to die. Do you?

I Have a lot of Alpine experience in the back country of Yosemite and the High Sierra. I climbed in Yosemite Valley for 6 years. I was a wilderness First Responder and Rock Climbing Guide for 8 years on the East Coast. I have climbed at least 500 mountains between the East and West Coasts, Hawaii, Italy, Canada and South Korea.

It's my post and I will govern it how i want it to be. I also like to chill and have fun. After the hike i usually fire up a 20 oz. steak and drink a 6'er below the 14'er. This post is really trying to cut out the lazy ones who want to take all day. Sorry, but again my post. I want to get it done and puff one down and drink a shot of Bourbon to commensurate the victory. It is all about attacking the mountain hard on the way up and chill on the way down. I like to meet and talk with strangers as well. It's a mix with my athletic ability and ego driven mind with the technical engineering medical side governing me. I'm pretty wild as well. I usually attract kind people. I am also a a giving person and go out of my way to make friends more, and be affable.
Last edited by Jbroscious on Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Okay. You might be missed...
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:12 am
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 am No stopping - if you have to rest briefly and i do this too once in awhile.
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 am I might still be faster than you with my 35 pound pack.
why the hurry? most all of those peaks can be easily done at a moderate pace and finished well before afternoon storms.
Wrong. If you look at some of that mileage? Almost half these Peaks are a roundtrip over 12 miles in a day. Some of these climbs i will do a double or even triple Peak in a day. Not necessarily an easy feat.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Scott P wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 am Why am I having flashbacks of boot camp while reading this post?
LOL. I don't Know. What i do was compared by my last climbing partner who is a Marine that said, "Next to BootCamp this was the hardest thing that i have ever done."
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am I can’t imagine waking up before 5am in Summer minus a handful of trips..
I do it every day anyways
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 am
d_baker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 am If op wants to go fast and steady, and start very early, why should anyone else care?
We don’t care, some of us just think it’s funny. I say rock on
Cheers Mate!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 32
13ers: 107 18
Trip Reports (32)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I'd be in if breakfast was included.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

hellmanm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am OP, you seem to be all about discipline, and you have some strict criteria for partners. I'd focus less on discipline and more on judgment, though. For example, you talk about how you want to go without stopping or making breakfast. You should be focusing on researching weather to determine your window, looking up at the sky, and adjusting pace as needed. You should be discussing proper nutrition, and adjusting to how each partner's body responds to caloric intake in order to maximize efficiency (and happiness, quite frankly).

The same goes for safety -- you talk a lot about your survival background, but quite frankly you should be worried about not destroying your Prius that you "hammer on rocks" to get to/from a trailhead (especially since you're going for more remote peaks). The best survival strategy is to avoid being in a survival situation in the first place. Your partners need to be in great shape, but not once did you mention routefinding ability or experience as an important qualifier. I'd rather hike something dangerous with someone who's a little slow/overweight, but has great judgment and skill, than with a really fit guy/girl who has no idea what they're doing.

I've hiked over half the peaks on your 2021 list, and I've gotten up before 4AM for some of them too :lol: . I don't think you're looking at this the right way. Good luck out there, and stay safe.
I wish you realized who you were talking to. I have more skills than you realize. I am almost a professional climber, and was a guide for 8 years.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

peter303 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm I didn't see snow mentioned the original post. Many years there can be considerable snow above treeline until July 1st. Passes and forest roads could still be closed until then too. If its a super snow spring like 2019, the snow could be well into July. Plus tons of avalanche closed paths.
I didn't have any problems last year with snow. Some other parties ahead of me on Mount Wilson and Wilson Peak had issues. One guy almost slid off a gully. Scrabble is dangerous and slow. Snow pack would be a blessing. I have snowshoes, crampons, ice axes, ice screws, rope and gear to get up and out of almost every situation.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm I'd be in if breakfast was included.
It can always be arranged, but you'd be getting up earlier than 4am.
timewarp01
14ers: 40 8
13ers: 32 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by timewarp01 »

I wonder how long it takes for guys like this to realize what a caricature they are. Immediately dismissing the well-intentioned advice of more experienced climbers is a rookie mistake that often leads to lessons learned the hard way. If nothing else, I hope the OP appreciates that his posts are riddled with red flags that any potential partners will see and steer well clear.