Crestone vs. Hildale or Colorado City

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Your preferred town

Crestone
87%
Hildale
7%
Colorado City
7%

Total votes: 15
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone vs. Hildale or Colorado City

Post by Andrew Russell »

Since we have a Crestone versus Westcliffe thread, I thought a more fair comparison for Crestone would be the communities of Hildale and Colorado City in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Which place would you prefer to live or visit?
@andysoutdooradventures
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crestone vs. Hildale or Colorado City

Post by jaymz »

I know nothing about Hilldale, and the only thing I know about Colorado City is that waltzing into town with my one solitary wife sounds like it would be woefully inadequate.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Is this a suggestion that Mormonism is akin to a cult? Is that why it would be a more "fair comparison"?

I am not weighing in on a debate about religion, but an excellent book, by an author most everyone here knows, is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-of- ... B00017JIQE

Maybe belongs in the "what are you reading" thread, but just throwing it out there as it would help inform the decision about how to respond to this poll. And it was a real page turner for me.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Wentzl wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:48 pm Is this a suggestion that Mormonism is akin to a cult? Is that why it would be a more "fair comparison"?

I am not weighing in on a debate about religion, but an excellent book, by an author most everyone here knows, is this:

Maybe belongs in the "what are you reading" thread, but just throwing it out there as it would help inform the decision about how to respond to this poll. And it was a real page turner for me.
since you've read the book (and yes it is an excellent read) i assume you would understand that there is a difference between mainstream mormonism and flds? the latter of which is what you would find down around the col/az border.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Wentzl wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:48 pm Is this a suggestion that Mormonism is akin to a cult? Is that why it would be a more "fair comparison"?

Akin to a cult? It’s just a bigger wealthier version of the People’s Temple and Heaven’s Gate. Every time a comet comes in like last summer I half expect the entirety of Mormonism to mix up the Kool-Aid and ride off to the heavens where they won’t be bothered by federal agents questioning their tax exempt-status or nonbeliever journalists looking into reports the local bishop is deflowering virgins. Oh sorry, they don’t like the term Mormons anymore. They now prefer Saints.

There are many Saints in my wife’s family and this past weekend we attended the Saintly wedding of her 18 year old niece in a small town in Idaho. Actually we attended a reception since non-Saints are not allowed entrance to the Temple to view the wedding. The sacred underwear was just one example of the weirdness. Virtually the entire town are Saints and it feels like you’re in the movie Children of the Corn only with adults. It always amazes me how little modern day Saints know about the history of their cult. From the magic plates to the magic eyeglasses to the Mountain Meadows Massacre to why they were run out of New York, Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri, it’s all a mystery to them. They just do what they’re told and keep paying their tithings.

The weekend wasn’t a total loss though. I saw two badgers!
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

"Akin to a cult? It’s just a bigger wealthier version of the People’s Temple and Heaven’s Gate. "

Dude, this is every mainstream religion. It only seems more ridiculous because it's newer and most people weren't indoctrinated with it at a young age .
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

I have a Hildale/Colorado City story:

For spring break our senior year in college, the cycling team drove down to St. George area to get out of the snowy Montana winter for some warm-weather riding. For one of our longer rides, we planned a route that would require some mid-ride refueling and we saw Hildale on the map. We figured it would have a gas station or two to fill bottles and grab some snacks; a desert oasis during a long ride. So...we pull into town on a nice spring day, about eight sweaty/smelly college guys and gals in spandex. Everyone in town is dressed in what I can only describe as Amish style, i.e., homemade dresses with full coverage for the women, drab pants and button down shirts for the men. Lots of very nice new pickup trucks, but also lots trailer homes in town, each with a sign in front that said "Property of UEP." Everyone in town is giving us the serious side-eye. We refuel without incident at a gas station and then roll out to finish our ride. For the rest of the trip we were all commenting how strange the place was and wondering why the UEP owned everything in the town?

A year later, Warren Jeffs' dad dies and Warren's in the news as the new leader of the FLDS in Hildale/Colorado. It was then that we started putting things together. Apparently UEP was not a mining company like we thought, but was some arm of the church. The UEP did literally own the entire town and was later put under control of the Courts after Warren got arrested.

Have not been back to that part of Utah/AZ since then. Wonder if it has changed?