Ski American!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
zinj
Posts: 430
Joined: 7/3/2012
14ers: 58
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (13)

Ski American!

Post by zinj »

Had plans to see BHTM / Violent Femmes @ Red Rocks June 2020, but COVID.

Rescheduled forJune 2021....but COVID. Concert is now 2022

I don’t want to wait. If the snow holds...1st weekend in June, looking to do American/Jones/Niagara (and ski off American) from/to American Basin.

Anyone interested? Would love to have company on Jones And Niagara but I get it if all you want to do is ski American a few times. I can hit the other peaks solo.


I’m out of state...so I can only “wait and see” to a certain extent and then just have to go for it.

Low snow fallback is probably Half Peak...maybe Vermillion?
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
User avatar
SchralpTheGnar
Posts: 1686
Joined: 2/26/2008
14ers: 51 49 1
13ers: 28 21
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Ski American!

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Can I say something?
dcruz654
Posts: 68
Joined: 7/25/2015
14ers: 58 1 3
13ers: 46 7 3

Re: Ski American!

Post by dcruz654 »

Shoot me a pm if you think 6/6-7 would work.
Unfortunately those are the only dates I have free in the beginning of June, but I could leave Summit county area at 5pm 6/5 Saturday. I would be interested in any/all of the peaks you listed as I have yet to climb any of them
Cheers!
User avatar
zinj
Posts: 430
Joined: 7/3/2012
14ers: 58
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Ski American!

Post by zinj »

I'll keep response public for now to see if a posse might form to go get some of the last runs on American in spring '21

Saturday 6/5 would be best for me...but I may be able to swing Sunday 6/6. Effectively means I have to take Monday 6/7 off work to get back to the Eastern time zone.

Have any idea how the snow is? I've read a recent Handies conditions report and see from many photos the wide variability in June snow cover depending on year.

My thinking was to start early enough for the snow in American basin (however far it stretches) to be hard enough to boot -- at least on the way up. If it's posthole mush at the end of the day, so be it. Switch to crampons and axe when the pitch rises. I don't have touring skis, so was just going to lug my alpine gear across the basin and up to the ridgeline on American, stash it, go tag Jones and Niagara, return, pick up the alpine skis and climb the rest of the way up to the American summit (leaving the skis at the top of whichever chute looks best...or taking them up and over if skiing down a chute east of the summit). I suspect I won't have enough left in the tank for a repeat ascent of American and ski-off (after round-tripping Jones and Niagara), but if we get lucky and the ridgeline is easy, and the snow doesn't get too soft to re-ascend, maybe...

It's all going to depend on the snowpack in the next couple of weeks being melted down and refrozen enough to be safe, but not so melted that bare spots make a ski descent an exercise in trying-too-hard to do something cool that just isn't there. If it looks like conditions are lining up in the next week or two, I'll see if I can swing Monday 6/7 off and get some flexibility.

Off to do some backpacking in the Smoky Mts this weekend -- I'll get as high as a summit at 6,621 ft, which...whatever.
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
dcruz654
Posts: 68
Joined: 7/25/2015
14ers: 58 1 3
13ers: 46 7 3

Re: Ski American!

Post by dcruz654 »

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, if the conditions are looking good there is a chance I could take off Saturday. I'm on a split.
Last time I was up in American basin on snow was June 10th 2017, just barely enough snow left to ski directly off the summit of Handies. It was thin up top but American /American basin had a lot more snow than the southwest side of Handies. There was snow to the Cinnamon turnoff. I hiked in trailrunners/micros the entire way to the summit with my split and boots on my pack.
User avatar
AlexeyD
Posts: 1287
Joined: 10/28/2013
14ers: 44 4 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Ski American!

Post by AlexeyD »

Hi there, I'm probably the author of the recent report you are referencing. In a nutshell, I would describe the conditions we experienced in early May this year as very similar to the above description from early June 2017. Just something to take into consideration.

That being said, if the snow in American Basin does survive long enough for your trip, I would advise against trying to boot it without floatation. Honestly, that sounds like a recipe for a really miserable time. If you don't have an AT setup and don't currently have the budget to get one (totally understandable), I would seriously look into options for either renting or borrowing one.
Post Reply