SAR Rescue Costs - Insurance

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

SAR Rescue Costs - Insurance

Post by OldDude »

Been hiking for nearly 45 years and never had an incident where I needed SAR help for a serious injury though I've done some very dumb things on the trail. that could have resulted in self harm. This year I went from the ACR to a Garmin and when signing up I see I can purchase 100K rescue insurance ($50K per incident) for a very small fee. The person rescued from Mt. Sneffels several days ago had me thinking about who pays for the two helicopters and the ground crew that successfully removed him from the area. How much of that cost would I be liable for if I was in a similar situation?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: SAR Rescue Costs - Insurance

Post by SkaredShtles »

Bout tree fiddy.
ry14er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ry14er »

There is no charge for SAR services in Colorado. Should you need a medical helicopter evac or ambulance service, then they charge you or your insurance for their services.
Last edited by ry14er on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

ry14er wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 pm There is no charge for SAR services in Colorado. Should you need a medical helicopter evac or ambulance service, then they charge you for their services.
Correct. But there are a few small gray areas there. Don't hold me to this because I'm not a medic, but I believe if you receive Rx meds in the field you cannot refuse the ambulance once you arrive back at the TH. If you're unconscious or otherwise incapacitated such that you cannot refuse care, you're on the hook if you receive FFL or a bus.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
ry14er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ry14er »

Unfortunately, there's always grey areas. Regarding the Rx, depends on the meds and the ambulance company, but you should have a choice on if you want their service or not. If you're unconscious or incapacitated, that means you're probably having a really bad day and will be in dire need of such services.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

First thing to do is get a list of detailed coverages and exclusions, more than what they casually list in a sales ad.

-Tom
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

ry14er wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 pm There is no charge for SAR services in Colorado. Should you need a medical helicopter evac or ambulance service, then they charge you for their services.
Med evac starts at $25,000.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sky-rage-bill ... d=37669153
Jon MGLTD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jon MGLTD »

Just get yourself a fishing license and your covered for the heli flight.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

Remember that once SAR brings you back to the trailhead you can deny the ambulance ride. Have your hiking partner drive you to the hospital instead to save money. Obviously dependent on how critical your injury is.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Jon MGLTD wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 am Just get yourself a fishing license and your covered for the heli flight.
Is this true? I can't find official documentation confirming this.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Jon MGLTD wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 am Just get yourself a fishing license and your covered for the heli flight.
This is not true. Hunting/fishing licenses contribute to the CORSAR fund, but they are not insurance, and do not get you free medical services.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

A fishing, hunting, or SWA license does not give you free heli rescues.

4. Is the Colorado Search and Rescue Fund insurance?
No, the fund is not an insurance program. It does not reimburse individuals for
expenses incurred such as medical transport and medical expenses. Medical transport
includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Boati ... cueFAQ.pdf