Sneffels Beta

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ngreenster13
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Sneffels Beta

Post by ngreenster13 »

Howdy! Just seeing if anyone has been up on Sneffels lately, what conditions are like, if a rap is necessary for the Snake Couloir, recommended routes, etc. Thanks!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sneffels Beta

Post by greenonion »

ngreenster13 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:02 pm Howdy! Just seeing if anyone has been up on Sneffels lately, what conditions are like, if a rap is necessary for the Snake Couloir, recommended routes, etc. Thanks!
From Brad on 4/2... https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=22591 A bit dated, but still relevant I would guess.
ngreenster13
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ngreenster13 »

greenonion wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:51 am
ngreenster13 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:02 pm Howdy! Just seeing if anyone has been up on Sneffels lately, what conditions are like, if a rap is necessary for the Snake Couloir, recommended routes, etc. Thanks!
From Brad on 4/2... https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=22591 A bit dated, but still relevant I would guess.
Awesome thanks!
Hjelmstadlt
14ers: 42  1  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

Heyo. Just wanted to bump this. Weathers looking prime the next couple days.
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 99 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davisrice4 »

Also curious if anyone can confirm the road is still closed down low?
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

According to the trailhead status updates from last year, the road was plowed to the Lower trailhead by May 11th 2022.
Of course, this year could be different since there has been so much more snow.
Hjelmstadlt
14ers: 42  1  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

Updating this for folks still curious. The conditions report recently posted covers most of it. The Snake is in really good shape! I got a bit turned around and ended up rapping to a notch skiers left of the top of the Couloir. A little more spicy and technical than the usual entrance but pretty fun. Classic stiff wind slab for the first 200 ft or so before you get into the goods. Spring pow to the bottom.

The road is walkable from the road closure about 3.25 miles to the mine, bring shoes you don’t mind getting really muddy. Keep your head up for rock and icefall on your way up as all the ice flows are quickly delaminating from the rock.
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
Nobleman
14ers: 11  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nobleman »

Hey! Just curious if anyone has an update on Sneffels conditions from the past couple days (I saw the one TR posted from the past weekend). Have the northern aspects in that region gotten too soggy recently?
Looking at an attempt this coming weekend, but not sure if I should expect reasonable conditions or too icy/crusty.