Handies, Red Cloud, Sunshine Questions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Handies, Red Cloud, Sunshine Questions

Post by yaktoleft13 »

sdzurenko wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:45 pm Hi. I'm planning a trip to summit Sunshine and Redcloud in early September. After reading about the road to the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch Trailhead, I was wondering how my car would do and found this discussion. I have a Subaru Outback, with listed ground clearance of 8.7". Any thoughts on how that will do getting up to the trailhead?

Thanks!
No problem. Been to that trailhead in a Corolla before
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

sdzurenko wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:45 pm Hi. I'm planning a trip to summit Sunshine and Redcloud in early September. After reading about the road to the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch Trailhead, I was wondering how my car would do and found this discussion. I have a Subaru Outback, with listed ground clearance of 8.7". Any thoughts on how that will do getting up to the trailhead?

Thanks!
Your car should have no issue getting to the SC/GG trailhead. If you want to carry on to American Basin it will be rougher, but if the first TH is as far as you are planning to go it will be relatively easy.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
1brokedad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1brokedad »

Thanks!

I took my Subaru Forrester down the road to the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch TH last year and didn't have a problem. I just took it slow and picked my spots. BTW - I will be there 9/10
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

I drove a rented ford fiesta there carefully and had no problems. Of course I washed the car before returning it.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Somebody in a recent other thread (don’t remember which) mentioned that the heavy rains this summer messed up that road some more. See if you can find that or hopefully hear from others who’ve been there recently. Good luck!
TommyF
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TommyF »

greenonion wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:07 pm Somebody in a recent other thread (don’t remember which) mentioned that the heavy rains this summer messed up that road some more. See if you can find that or hopefully hear from others who’ve been there recently. Good luck!
That was me. Made multiple trips out county road 30 between August 19th and the 23rd. I did see a new Altima at the American Basin/Cinnamon Pass split so with careful driving a normal 2wd passenger car can make it. Plan on taking 2 to 3 times longer than normal unless you don't care about tearing up your vehicle. The road is in pretty poor shape with the amount of rain this summer in that part of Colorado. Some of the puddles ( I use that term loosely, more like ponds across the road) were probably over a foot deep or more. A Rav4 made it up to the American Basin upper trailhead.
Don't Dream It, Do It!