Intent of Forum Topics Re: Cap Fatality

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Intent of Forum Topics Re: Cap Fatality

Post by greenonion »

Seems this time is a good learning opportunity for all of us in how to use the most appropriate Forum topic for the intent, and to stick with the intended topic via responses. This topic should have been started elsewhere as already expressed. Yes, even in the Climbing Accidents: Info and Analysis category someone would have gotten cross-wise there too, but that category would have been better suited for any analysis, and the Memorial category could have been used for its intent. It's not a perfect system, and we are obviously imperfect humans. Going forward, and I hope we never have to post info like this in either topic based on circumstances in the mountains, let's try to place topics in appropriate categories here, and let's also try and understand the intent of each and stick with the topic at hand. Sorry for the preaching, but I just think we can all learn here and try to adjust going forward.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Intent of Forum Topics Re: Cap Fatality

Post by JROSKA »

I don’t think it’s so much of an issue of “where” things get posted, the issue is more that there’s an increasingly large faction of people in this forum who do not want any type of accident discussion or analysis, period. As evidenced by the person on the other thread who keeps saying “go figure it out for yourself”. That doesn’t seem like an objection to where the discussion occurs, that reflects an attitude more of, “do not have this discussion”. I get that some people deal with things by sweeping it under the rug, “this didn’t happen” mentality and that’s fine if it works for them. But others like to talk things through and discuss. Last I checked, that is allowed on this site.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

How often do family members complain about people discussing accidents that their beloveds were involved in? Is it simply another case of people feeling offended or overly sensitive to something on someone else's behalf?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I've lost a friend in a climbing accident last year. I personally wanted to know what happened, how they died, etc. I searched out someone who responded to the accident and talked with them. I personally dont think theres anything wrong with discussing an accident, even if it does hurt to find out how your friend/loved one/etc died.
I think a lot of people are afraid to discuss accidents, because someone might say the deceased made a mistake. Its kinda like a eulogy, everybody just wants to say positive things. But wouldnt the deceased want people to learn from their death, if it means a life could be saved?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Elessar2368
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Elessar2368 »

I have lost a family member in a climbing accident and he being a knowledgeable mountaineer and outdoorsman always studied how people died in accidents and taught me to always investigate what mistakes people make on the mountain, in which area of the mountain, in which season and how when you are climbing to always do research beforehand. I think it would be a disgrace to his name and his person to not wish others the opportunity to learn to protect themselves and also keep a memory of true reverence for them in the mountains. I find it absurd that some on this forum believe it best to bully others into not talking about it and not asking which part of the mountain and which area on the route the person made the mistake. Especially on capitol where there’s one way up one way down and lots of areas to make a mistake route finding and end up in very dangerous terrain.