Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Post by Mtnman200 »

Peak200 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm Everyone makes a big fuss over 10 dollars
Ridiculous who cares about 10 dollars
People spend hundreds to get to the trailhead
And they won't spend 10 dollars to help keep
The whole reason they are going better
It's not the money (I have no problem spending $10/person per night plus a $6 fee), but the logistics can become very problematic in a hurry.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 pm \begin{vent}
It's already a PITA to get a parking pass for Maroon Lake, and it seems that the parking is completely independent from the new 2023 reservation requirements for camping, so two separate reservations will have to be independently obtained. If parking is only available on even days and camping is only available on odd days, then folks wishing to overnight in the area will be out of luck or have to find some other way of managing logistics. Thus, the logistics of something like the "Four Pass Loop" have just become even more challenging and expensive. Ughhh, I knew I should've gotten that Four-Pass Loop hike done this year.
\end{vent}
this was my fear, my husband bailed on our permits this yr and i was pissed. i was worried the camping was not going to line up with the parking, that should be sold as a set. its bad enough you have to make single order for the parking, im sure they cant figure out how to sell both at once.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm It's not the money (I have no problem spending $10/person per night plus a $6 fee), but the logistics can become very problematic in a hurry.
Agreed. Plus all permits will be gone within hours of becoming available just like other areas with similar setups. Better hope the weather isn't horrific should you manage to get one. And it seems parking will still be a mess too. I sympathize with the issues leading to this, and don't have a better suggestion right now, but I'm not thrilled at the outcome.

It was nearly a decade ago that I did Whitney, but in 3 days in the zone, we saw exactly zero rangers, never had to show a permit, bear can, wag bags, etc. Made me wonder how often enforcement actually happened.
quackquackcolorado
14ers: 58 
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

$10/permit isn't a big deal. Permit for camping at those specific lakes isn't a big deal when camping elsewhere nearby is permitted. But the system is almost certain going to move towards trying to score a permit months in advance on the day permits get released every year. Say good-bye to any spontaneous camping trip in this area. This is the case in so many popular spots.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Peak200 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm Everyone makes a big fuss over 10 dollars
My family and I unfortunately have to live on a budget. This means if my family and I wanted to do a "classic" colorado backpacking trip, it would cost my family of 5 for a 3 night trip to be $156 in just public land fees. The money may not be a big deal to some people, but for others it is.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Conor wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:09 am My family and I unfortunately have to live on a budget. This means if my family and I wanted to do a "classic" colorado backpacking trip, it would cost my family of 5 for a 3 night trip to be $156 in just public land fees. The money may not be a big deal to some people, but for others it is.
FWIW:
No fee will be required for children 16 years old and younger
(Still I don't get why they'd make it per person rather than per party)
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Considering what it costs to climb Culebra--yes I've been there, done that--ten bucks doesn't seem that bad.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm
It's not the money (I have no problem spending $10/person per night plus a $6 fee), but the logistics can become very problematic in a hurry.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The looking to buy/looking to sell of these permits is getting tiring. There needs to be some place to put these sorts of requests to help with the signal/noise.

I don't fault either side that this situation exists, except the parties that are buying permits en-mass to lock onto one day, then trying to sell all other days else en-mass last minute. That to me is an abuse of the permitting system.

Well I will say I'm not a fan of non-refundable lottery systems for permits either (pay $$ to get into a pool for a chance of a permit).
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

Peak200 wrote: ↑
Everyone makes a big fuss over 10 dollars

agreed that's a real problem
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:48 pm The looking to buy/looking to sell of these permits is getting tiring. There needs to be some place to put these sorts of requests to help with the signal/noise.
Introducing MaroonEtsy.com: https://www.etsy.com/market/maroon
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

This is unfortunately inevitable and necessary in high use areas that are simply getting overwhelmed with visitor impacts. I certainly hope they actually use those funds raised to improve/restore the area, staff more rangers, etc.

I agree that the logistical hurdles are one of the biggest downsides. I'm often making plans last minute and generally avoid anywhere that requires a permit, or look for a way around it, such as getting into RMNP before the timed entry system kicks in. Being relatively new to CO I'm still working through many of the "classic" hikes and Four Pass Loop has been on my list. I'll probably do it next year from Schofield Pass and run it in a day to avoid the parking situation on the other side and the overnight permit system for the area, but obviously that's not an option for many people.