2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by disentangled »

Obviously, goals should be motivational and inspiring, not a form of punishment and shame. Climbing peaks is a privilege. If one doesn't have a sense of self-worth and value without a checklist, that's a problem.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

disentangled wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:08 am Obviously, goals should be motivational and inspiring, not a form of punishment and shame. Climbing peaks is a privilege. If one doesn't have a sense of self-worth and value without a checklist, that's a problem.
Yeah, disentangle that!

the rest of 2022/early 2023 holds some challenges for me. The basic theme is overcoming barfing. Going to Mexico to try to bag some high peaks in November. Last time I was there in 2019, I got a food borne illness and didn't even get to the starting line of the big ones so hoping not to suffer the same fate in November - basically avoiding any uncooked food is the plan there. In February, I've got a 100k to run. The last 100k I attempted back in July resulted in heat related barfing and dropping out at the 30.5 mile checkpoint. This 100k is in Texas and is relatively flat compared to Colorado. It should be cooler, but who knows, could easily be 80 there.

As for the 2 climbing goals of 2022 -

Operation Spackle was a success. Have now climbed a distinct ranked peak for each of the 366 calendar days. Of course, liDAR could still jack that up, but it looks like I'm mostly safe of that front.

Make progress on "Tear the roof off this sucka" - summit every ranked peak in Colorado north of I-70 above 11k. Got a couple of new ones in the Zirkels and Eagles Nest Wilderness. Still a lot of exploring to do. 89 peaks in all. 12 13ers (all in Eagles Nest wilderness), 29 12ers, and 48 11ers - many many peaks in the Flattops.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:25 am
disentangled wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:08 am Obviously, goals should be motivational and inspiring, not a form of punishment and shame. Climbing peaks is a privilege. If one doesn't have a sense of self-worth and value without a checklist, that's a problem.
Yeah, disentangle that!

are you mocking me? lolzzz
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

scvaughn wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:32 pm I feel like such a slacker compared to some of you. My climbing goals at the beginning of the year were relatively modest.

1: Stay healthy.

2: Get at least 115K of elevation gain, preferably more.

3: Summit at least six new Colorado 14ers, and combine peaks when feasible.

I'm well on my way regarding #2, and have exceeded #3. A few years ago, I set a goal of getting to the point where I could day-hike Snowmass and Mt. Whitney, and believe I could do either one now. I'm having fun with it, and would like to add Mt. Wilson, El Diente, and Longs before this year is over.

This is my lineup so far, and all were day hikes:

The Wetterhorn-Uncompahgre combo, starting at the lower Matterhorn Creek TH

Humboldt Peak, starting at the lower SC Lakes TH

The Blanca-Ellingwood traverse, starting at the lower Lake Como TH

Crestone Peak, starting at the lower SC Lakes TH

The Shavano-Tabeguache combo

Crestone Needle, starting at the lower SC Lakes TH

Update: I climbed El Diente and La Plata, but didn't do Mt. Wilson or Longs. I may go for another "easy" 14er or two before the end of the year.
Last edited by scvaughn on Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

My wife broke her ankle October 2021 and was in a wheelchair for 3.5 months. She told me her comeback mountain was Denali in 2022. We summited on June 14th. We are now looking at 2023 and what that holds. Maybe some of you have experiences that you'd like to recommend?
While we are not interested in being gone from our 2 year old for a month again, we want something that challenges us. We've climbed Eiger, but not the north face route so we have discussed that. Perhaps Peru or even something interesting somewhere in the world we've not travelled to. Let's hear those suggestions.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

HikerGuy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 amMy third post, I dunno, maybe a snide response to these annual goal threads which are just an excuse for humble brags in my opinion
For some folks, posting their yearly goals here may be a form of accountability to help encourage them to work towards that goal: i.e. if it's posted online, then it's "official" and something they need to work towards, with the group members as an accountability group? Sort of tying into what JROSCA mentioned:
However, after several years, 2015-17, and 2019-20, each of which resulted in just two 14ers summited, it occurred to me that I was not setting any goals and for me personally, whatever reason, the result of that was my being very passive and very little getting done.
I may try posting some goals in the 2023 thread when it comes around and see if that changes how the year goes. I've not really set goals the last several years after many years of heavy goals, and I noticed I was going down the "passive" line like in the quote above. For 2022 I set some personal goals (I didn't post them however), and by setting goals this year I've noticed I am getting out more, be it on the bike or on foot. I've not made all the goals, but it's been a decent year despite some challenges at home. To quote HikerGuy, "I'm not disappointed".
Last edited by madmattd on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

HikerGuy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 am ...My third post, I dunno, maybe a snide response to these annual goal threads which are just an excuse for humble brags in my opinion...
A less cynical interpretation of these threads is that they can be an effective way to meet up with new people who have some common goals - that worked for me last year when I actually posted some goals (I passed this year because I can get overly obsessive about goals - I'll reevaluate at the end of the year to decide whether or not to publish any for next year...)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

it would be kind of surprising if a thread devoted to setting and meeting (or not meeting) goals didn't involve some level of humblebragging, as well as unhumble bragging.
kind of like how it would be surprising if a forum section named Climbing Accidents: Info and Analysis didn't contain any accident analysis.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

daway8 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:44 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 am ...My third post, I dunno, maybe a snide response to these annual goal threads which are just an excuse for humble brags in my opinion...
A less cynical interpretation of these threads is that they can be an effective way to meet up with new people who have some common goals - that worked for me last year when I actually posted some goals (I passed this year because I can get overly obsessive about goals - I'll reevaluate at the end of the year to decide whether or not to publish any for next year...)
Agreed. I know folks are excited to share what they are doing and most don't have the intent that I suggested. I am feeling cynical today, I blame the shorter days.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Yeah I can see that. About meeting up with people. Sometimes it can lead to new hiking partners (ie, you need that peak? So do I!). That’s a positive of these types of posts. I’m sure there is some bragging going on but for the most part I think it’s just people sharing with others what their goals are. Maybe I’ll share mine in 2023. I just always feel so inadequate seeing my typical goal of 3-5 14ers stacked up against some of the lists here. Lol
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

JROSKA wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:33 pm
Yeah I can see that. About meeting up with people. Sometimes it can lead to new hiking partners (ie, you need that peak? So do I!). That’s a positive of these types of posts. I’m sure there is some bragging going on but for the most part I think it’s just people sharing with others what their goals are. Maybe I’ll share mine in 2023. I just always feel so inadequate seeing my typical goal of 3-5 14ers stacked up against some of the lists here. Lol
It also feels a little strange to post generic goals, like my standard 5/25 14ers/13ers, when I don't have more than a couple specific peaks in mind early in the year. I pick 14ers based on my ability and their accessibility but 13ers are almost totally based on weather and how far I feel like driving that weekend. I generally don't decide where I'm going until at least Thursday morning. This, combined with a classic case of hiker introversion, results in a lack of outreach for partners. #-o
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

It may be a personality thing. I'm a total space cadet it I don't have a solid goal in mind. Once I do, I can easily imagine all the steps to get there. I couldn't ever get those big projects done without that. It would be too hard to set priorities in my life without some sort of framework. I don't think it's a bad thing to get too specific. So instead of, "Do one Class 3 14er", figure out exactly which one, and imagine what it would be like to do it. I love daydreaming, so that sort of stuff works for me.

But mountain stuff is hard, as it's weather/condition dependent, so there's a bit of chance involved to see if the stars align, not to mention schedule for more important things like friends/family/SO's and less important things like work.

I don't think I ever shared it here, but for example, here's all the things I want to do this year - there's more than I could do given the amount of time, money, or even skills, but it's nice to have options and make decisions as opportunity arises,

https://justinsimoni.com/2022/03/25/202 ... t-dreamin/

Still three more months in the year!