Centennial Finish: Youngest Ever?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Centennial Finish: Youngest Ever?

Post by Camden7 »

This September I finished the Centennials (Colorado's 100 highest Peaks) on Hagerman Peak. I believe I may be the youngest person ever to complete this list. Read about my journey here:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Centennial Finish: Youngest Ever?

Post by daway8 »

Wow, very impressive!!! Most likely you are the youngest but even if someone else speaks up with a different record it's still a really amazing accomplishment at so young an age!

Congratulations!!! =D> \:D/ =D>
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Nice work, congratulations. And nice pictures too, that sunrise from the Bells is indeed quite the scene.

You remind me of myself a few years ago, though I was just doing my first 14er at 15. As I think you know, a supportive family is an awesome way to get into this--the more time I've spent in the mountains, the more I've realized that I value the time spent together as much or more than the challenge and reward of climbing itself. Keep it up, be safe, stay close with your family, and have fun!
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Congratulations on the cents! You’ve still got lots of time to accomplish more great things in your life.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Pcypher
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pcypher »

This really is an amazing accomplishment. Well done. You are a true badass!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Amazing work at 15 yrs old. Congrats and enjoy many more years of climbing.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 42 18
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Nice work dude! That’s a huge accomplishment.
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Wow, very impressive. Congratulations. Quite the accomplishment at such a young age.
I met you and your family on top of California. It was great meeting all of you. Here is a picture I took with you guys in it after you left the summit.
20210911_114933.jpg
20210911_114933.jpg (150.31 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Century Bound, eventually.
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

Very nice!!! I read your trip report. That's a long list of mountains. =D> I read them off one at a time to my wife. It took a long time just to speak 103 of them out loud. Congratulations finishing both the classic list and Lidar. Impressive
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 202 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Anima »

Camden,

Congradulations on your finish! Its crazy to think you finished the centennials around the time I started them.

I like to think I was the youngest finisher before you. I "started" when I was 6 and finished when I was 17 last November. Though I climbed 98 of the peaks (this was pre-lidar) in an 18 month span starting when I was sixteen. I also climbed 70+ of the peaks solo.

To be clear: I am not certain that I was the youngest at the time. Most young climbers are bound by their ability to drive, or have supportive people (say, parents) who can drive them around. Had there been anyone under the age of sixteen, their parents / themselves would probably be known in the community. Given that, besides you, there are no known kids / parents under the age of 16 to have climbed the centennials or supported their kid in doing so, (and that most kids are not capable of such an endeavor), its reasonable to assume the youngest finisher was at least 16 since that's when teenagers can really "support themselves." (i.e. driving). Beyond that, no one under the age of 18 had ever come forward, but it's possible there are a handful of people out there. 18 to 24 months to climb the Centennials at a young age (given they could start driving at 16) is a wicked fast time. So, what I always found is the probability of a finisher existing who was younger than myself was extremely low, but not impossible. Thus I have always said "I am probably the youngest finisher." Thats at least how I reasoned through it. I never climbed the Centennials to by the youngest to do so, it just happened to be an interesting circumstance I came across while climbing them.

I believe, with certainty, that you are the youngest finisher. Especially if I was the youngest before you.
What is real will prosper.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Congrats Camden! Best of luck in all your future adventures =D>
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I thought Scott P’s kids finished at age 3. :)