Long line of sight

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Long line of sight

Post by Scott P »

Last night I found out something interesting. I have been working a lot of hours so all my hikes have either been just after sunset or at night. Last night I hiked up Dome BM which is located NE of the Douglas Pass and NW of Grand Junction. It’s elevation is 9039 and it’s a rather obscure peak that doesn’t stand out much (other than perhaps the man made dome near top-whatever it is).
Although I have been to the same place 19 times, the sunset lighting was such that I noticed something that I hadn’t noticed before. The sky was very clear with little or no haze and when I looked to the SW I got a surprise. I could clearly make out the shapes of Mount Hillers and Mount Pennell in the Henry Mountains of Utah. The shapes of those mountains are unmistakable to me since I have seen them countless times over the decades. This was impressive to me so I took a photograph and decided to calculate the sight distance when I got home. Mount Hillers is near Bullfrog Utah and on the east side of Lake Powell so I knew that it was a long way. Could it contend with the other record site distances that have been photographed in the United States?

For the curious, here’s how the numbers panned out and some of them have to do with a 14er in Colorado.

The longest site distance photographed in the United States is Denali to Mount Sanford with a distance of 223 miles.

In the Lower 48, the record belongs to Mount Rainier to Mount Brunswick (Canada) with 195 miles, followed closely by Mount Whitney to Mount San Gorgonio Mountain with 190 miles.
Next on the list is Uncompahgre Peak (Colorado 14er) to Mount Ellen Utah and Mount Hillers to Navajo Mountain, both at 183 miles.

After doing the calcs, Dome BM to Mount Hillers is 159 miles, but was not enough to contend with any of the above. Still, Dome BM is an obscure 9er that doesn’t stand out so 159 miles is still impressive. There may be a longer line of sight distances on some of the other neighbors to Dome BM.

Here's the photograph. It was taken with my cell phone so isn’t the best (it was clearer in person), but it does show that you can photograph Mt. Hillers and Mt. Pennell from Dome BM in Colorado, something, I never would have suspected.

20221006_190438 - Copy.jpg
20221006_190438 - Copy.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Long line of sight

Post by HikerGuy »

However, there is one situation in which objects can be made out at great distances: when they are silhouetted against a bright background, such as the setting Sun, or (just after sunset) a bright twilit sky.
Without resorting to an artificial light source, there's the example of mountains in Corsica, seen repeatedly from Genoa, Italy, at a distance of over 260 km. The best visibility was just before sunrise and just after sunset, when the distant peaks were silhouetted against the bright twilit sky: the lower atmosphere was in the Earth's shadow, while the upper troposphere was still lit by direct sunlight. These observations were extensively discussed by Maraldi four centuries ago.
https://aty.sdsu.edu/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Thanks for the link. It's quite interesting.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

yeah i eat this stuff up

I was doing home calculations at home after hikes on what I thought I saw in the distance and comparing that to maps - for several years!

but then people here clued me into peakfinder and caltopo's viewshed thing and it was all ruined a little - even if it is much easier now to have all those calculations done for you.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

This is a fun topic. I’ve noticed Ellen several times from the peaks near Douglas Pass and De Beque. I’ve always wondered if there is line of sight to Ellen from the peaks near Dinosaur (Zenobia) or Flaming Gorge (Pine Mtn. Wy) since you are looking straight down the Green River Valley. Plenty of high ground in the way though so you would need just the right line.
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

lukePlumley wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:15 pm This is a fun topic. I’ve noticed Ellen several times from the peaks near Douglas Pass and De Beque. .
Nice. Do you remember which peaks near De Beque? If you can see Mount Ellen, you might be able to see Hillers as well. Either way De Beque to Ellen would be a really long line of sight.
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

I mention it in this trip report. These are from Corcoran Wash. I haven’t been to Shale BM yet but that high ridge might have a line north of the La Sals.
Attachments
293A0730-45C1-478B-AB26-6B45F993DEAD.png
293A0730-45C1-478B-AB26-6B45F993DEAD.png (361.28 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

lukePlumley wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:37 amI mention it in this trip report. These are from Corcoran Wash. I haven’t been to Shale BM yet but that high ridge might have a line north of the La Sals.
Nice. I'll have to check it out
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

South Sister to Rainier is 190 miles or so--was lucky enough to get to see that several years back.

The farthest line of sight from Elbert is East Spanish Peak, I want to say 145 miles. Also saw that on a crystal clear winter day...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

OK, here's one for you. I took this photo before work and it is the max zoom off my cellphone looking from the summit of Dome BM (looking slightly south of east). This is from the same Peak at the beginning of the thread that you can see Mt. Hillers and Pennell from.

I'll figure it out when I get home tonight, but wanted to see if someone here could figure it out before that. I haven't noticed this one before since it didn't stand out until it was covered in snow.

What mountain is this? (I'm thinking Sopris, but not sure).
20221031_135203.jpg
20221031_135203.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 396 times
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

My sense is this a picture of Sopris, west summit. Note the biggish cirque.
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

docjohn wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:36 pm My sense is this a picture of Sopris, west summit. Note the biggish cirque.
That's what I'm thinking too. It pretty cool (at least to me) that you can see Sopris, Mt. Hillers (on the west side of Lake Powell), and all the way to Explorer Peak in the western part of the High Uintas Wilderness from the same lowly 9er.