Heaters for Car/Tent

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Heaters for Car/Tent

Post by greenonion »

Great input. Thanks folks. I was hoping for a near slam dunk on something effective warm-wise, and safe without worry. Not seeing it yet. Better safe than sorry, so I’ll default to safe side for now. I’m figuring out other methods too, just hate running the car engine to warm things up.

There’s always a 3 dog night, right??
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

I really like HotHands warmers, they even make a bigger sheet of it. the rechargeable hand warmers are good too but don't last as long
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

Great topic! because this is more complicated than one would think.

Supposedly my MrHeater Portable BuddyHeater has a built-in carbon monoxide filter, but I’m skeptical, especially with such a robust pilot light burning continuously.

And- people have died in car fires):

(+1 for multiple sleeping bags)
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:37 pm A compatible partner.
Long term cost seems high to me.
bramasoleiowa
14ers: 12 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bramasoleiowa »

greenonion wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:20 pm There’s always a 3 dog night, right??
Three dogs seems like overkill unless it's a terribly cold night.
“I take all day to climb mountains and then spend about 10 minutes at the top admiring the view.”
–- Sebastian Thrun
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:59 am Great topic! because this is more complicated than one would think.

Supposedly my MrHeater Portable BuddyHeater has a built-in carbon monoxide filter, but I’m skeptical, especially with such a robust pilot light burning continuously.

No mention of a carbon monoxide filter on the Mr Heater website, but they do mention an oxygen depletion sensor shutoff switch. Use up too much of the oxygen in an enclosed space and it will shut off, and at higher altitudes it will shut off very quickly. No guarantee there that the heater won't have pumped out some CO as the oxygen levels got lower, and that stuff stays in your body for a while. Here's some fun reading about carbon monoxide, stoves and tents: http://zenstoves.net/COHazard.htm . TLDR: you don't need a car fire to die, a stove in closed up tent will do the job very well.
mark
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

markf wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:40 am
LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:59 am Great topic! because this is more complicated than one would think.

No mention of a carbon monoxide filter on the Mr Heater website, but they do mention an oxygen depletion sensor shutoff switch. Use up too much of the oxygen in an enclosed space and it will shut off, and at higher altitudes it will shut off very quickly. No guarantee there that the heater won't have pumped out some CO as the oxygen levels got lower, and that stuff stays in your body for a while. Here's some fun reading about carbon monoxide, stoves and tents: http://zenstoves.net/COHazard.htm . TLDR: you don't need a car fire to die, a stove in closed up tent will do the job very well.
Thanks again for the comments. As mentioned above, I'm backing off this idea for now, and maybe forever. Not wanting to take chances with carbon monoxide, etc.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

greenonion wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:40 am
Thanks again for the comments. As mentioned above, I'm backing off this idea for now, and maybe forever.
Sorry Onion, but once opened Pandora's Box can never be closed again.

:lol:
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Works when it's not all that cold. When it's stupid cold, you are both fully dressed under there anyway.

What would be cool is some sort of heated water recirculating into your tent or car with the heater doing the work outside. If someone could invent such a thing, that would be ace.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

timstich wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm
Works when it's not all that cold. When it's stupid cold, you are both fully dressed under there anyway.

What would be cool is some sort of heated water recirculating into your tent or car with the heater doing the work outside. If someone could invent such a thing, that would be ace.
Here you go. South Korea has it. I can't find any other info though.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 787 times
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Unless you want to heat the entire space, this should do the trick.

ActionHeat 7V Battery Heated Throw Blanket

Available at Dick's. Around $120.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

mtree wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:14 pm Unless you want to heat the entire space, this should do the trick.

ActionHeat 7V Battery Heated Throw Blanket

Available at Dick's. Around $120.
Hmmm. This looks promising. Cheaper still on other sites. Will look further into. Thanks, mtree!