Mt. Elbert in December

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stephenneal23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Elbert in December

Post by stephenneal23 »

dan0rama wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am I’ll join you
Sweet! I was looking to start at 4 am at the lower trailhead of the east ridge unless you have a car that can reach the upper trailhead. I'm looking to get a room in town to be closer to the mountain. If none of this is a problem shoot me a message and we'll swap numbers and what not. The reason I posted this publicly is in case anyone else ends up being interested.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

sounds good, I'll confirm early next week.

I have never seen a street legal vehicle at the upper TH in the winter. I wonder if anyone ever drives up here in the winter. There's sort of a sinkhole with water crossing that stops most vehicles.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dan0rama wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:23 am sounds good, I'll confirm early next week.

I have never seen a street legal vehicle at the upper TH in the winter. I wonder if anyone ever drives up here in the winter. There's sort of a sinkhole with water crossing that stops most vehicles.
Personally I wouldn't try it unless it happens to be pretty dry then, though I have seen some people make it that time of year. Even if you make it and it doesn't snow while you are there, there is still the risk of the wind creating a drift over the road making it hard to get out. That's what happened to us near the North Elbert Trailhead. The road wasn't too bad with a 4wd and since it was a good weather forecast, we drove the road more than we should have. When we got back, the winds had caused a bunch of big drifts on the road and we got stuck trying to get out. Although that was the North Trailhead, the same thing can happen on the south. Use caution.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Those trees are pretty tight to be able to go at it with speed. But the good thing about all the trees is that they make excellent winching options if you have a winch and get stuck. If you get stuck there, you might as well forget you own that vehicle until snow melts in spring, or have someone with a winch to come get you. A tow truck will not attempt leaving that paved road near the 2WD trailhead.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

The small stream crossing tends to turn into an ice flow with 2-3’~ drops on both sides. I’ve been up it late season in a rubicon w/ 37s. Personally that road takes no time, especially on skis and would just walk it. Depending on snowpack, there’s some camping options .2-.5mi up the road on the left.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

The southeast one? Is that the same as the south one?
stephenneal23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stephenneal23 »

Butthole wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:07 pm The southeast one? Is that the same as the south one?
It's the East ridge which is different from the south east.