Mount Evans Renaming Informal Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

There are currently 5 proposals to rename Mount Evans; which do you favor?

1 - Mount Blue Sky : While the Arapaho clearly have ties to the land, this particular name has no historic ties to the mountain itself; the Arapaho people are commonly called the Blue Sky People, but this leaves out the Cheyenne people.
15%
2 - Mount Cheyenne-Arapaho : Again, the Cheyenne and Arapaho have ties to the land, but this name that has no historic ties to the mountain itself; and unfortunately, this name will likely be shortened just like the CU-Boulder dorm of the same name to: Chey-Ho.
1%
3 - Mount Evans : Rededicate for Anne Evans, who climbed the mountain, lived nearby, and donated her extensive Native American Art collection to the Denver Art Museum, making it the first US art museum to collect Native American Art; rededicating for Anne Evans would make it the only 14er named for a woman. Read more about her here: https://www.cogreatwomen.org/project/anne-evans/
40%
4 - Mount Rosalie : This was the only known name of the mountain before it was changed to Evans in 1895, but it would require the nearby peak of same name to also be changed. Renaming it Rosalie would make it the only 14er named for a woman.
12%
5 - Mount Soule : This name has no historic ties to the mountain itself; this honors Silas Soule, who should be commemorated and probably is at the Sand Creek site; read more about him here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Soule
4%
6 - None of these.
28%

Total votes: 240
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mount Evans Renaming Informal Poll

Post by speth »

Having strong opinions against the renaming of one mountain out of the thousands across the state is a surefire way to demonstrate you’re not a snowflake. :-" :roll:

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Trotter wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:56 am Lets name it "Mt Political Correctness" then that nasty pile of rock won't trigger anyone. :P

I bet they gonna go with the Anne "Mt Evans" thing. Much easier and cheaper then actually renaming it
It would seem that the people who are the most triggered by all this are the people who talk about other people being triggered about all of this.

Me? It doesn't affect my life either way, but if it gives me an excuse to reclimb said mountain under the new name, sweet.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Rather than "cancellation", I suggest "education"

Here's my proposal: Retain Mt Evans' name (to recognize the many accomplishments of John Evans) and name Pt 14256 (aka "West Evans" or Mt. Evans - west peak) Black Kettle Peak (to recognize his role in trying to negotiate peace prior to the Sand Creek massacre).

Despite what you may desire, the world is seldom binary. If you don't know the history (not only the Sand Creek Massacre but that of John Evans' and Black Kettle's lives), I encourage you to explore it. This proposal would result in a broader understanding that history than changing the name of a peak, a wilderness, several cities, a hospital, a university, and other places or things to try to "fix" a wrong.
Aim high to end high
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

glenmiz wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:51 am Rather than "cancellation", I suggest "education"

Here's my proposal: Retain Mt Evans' name (to recognize the many accomplishments of John Evans) and name Pt 14256 (aka "West Evans" or Mt. Evans - west peak) Black Kettle Peak (to recognize his role in trying to negotiate peace prior to the Sand Creek massacre).

Despite what you may desire, the world is seldom binary. If you don't know the history (not only the Sand Creek Massacre but that of John Evans' and Black Kettle's lives), I encourage you to explore it. This proposal would result in a broader understanding that history than changing the name of a peak, a wilderness, several cities, a hospital, a university, and other places or things to try to "fix" a wrong.
Why not change Evans to Black Kettle and Pt. 14256 to Evans?
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Why not just un-dedicate the mountain and keep the Evans name, will that appease those offended on someone else's behalf?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

SkaredShtles wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:55 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am
Istoodupthere wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:02 am I say every mountain, river, street, school, library with a European name be renamed “I’m Sorry.” As long as all of the people requesting these name changes have background checks
OK, Boomer.
FTFY.

:mrgreen:
Wow. You just responded with a 2 word sentence, an acronym, and then an emoji. Impressive. You have a bright future ahead of you
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Istoodupthere wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:01 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:55 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am
OK, Boomer.
FTFY.

:mrgreen:
Wow. You just responded with a 2 word sentence, an acronym, and then an emoji. Impressive. You have a bright future ahead of you
generation twitter
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

He probably eats avocado toast too.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

I like how there's an option to change it from Mt. Evans to Mt. Evans. Seems like the one that makes the most sense now that I think about it.
Be the best you that you can be.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Dave B wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:32 am He probably eats avocado toast too.
On homemade sourdough. 8)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

obviously, the mountain should be renamed Mt. Chris Evans.
no one could possibly have a problem naming it after Captain America.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

This article says some natives unhappy with the proposed name Blue Sky.

https://www.westword.com/news/sand-cree ... t-15573248

(Second paragraph from end.)

Not properly consulting tribes has gotten organizations into trouble, as was the main point of the article.