Cool (sad) Picture

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Cool (sad) Picture

Post by Kiefer »

I came across this old picture I took up Horn Fork Basin. Steve and I used to set up informal winter camping skills "clinics" (I use that word loosely)
to help newer folks hone their camping skills. This was from the last year we did this (3.18.2011), my birthday consequently. Terry even brought up a 4-pk of Murphy's
for me! Figured some people on here would enjoy seeing this.

Some good people in this photo that are no longer with us. :cry:

Top Row: Scott Patterson, Prakash Manley, Bob Finn, Myself, Kate Finn, Kevin (Papillion), Terry Mathews, Otina, Eric Sanguiza, Carl (Wesley), Marc Barella, Kelly (Moon Stalker), Fepic, Britt Jones
Bottom Row: Steve Gladbach, Sarah Berneke (Wooderson), Dave Mattingly, Jim DaNapoli, Dan McCool, Greg Gorrell, Stephanie Lynn

I
Horn Fork Basin.jpg
Horn Fork Basin.jpg (173.66 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Last edited by Kiefer on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Cool (sad) Picture

Post by blazintoes »

Bottom row, third from left, first question mark
Dave Mattingly CarpeDM
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Unfortunately I don't know who those ones are, but people mentioned in the trip report that are not labeled in the photo are Carl (Wesley) and Kelly (moon stalker), and Fepic. Could any of them be any of the missing ones (I don't know)?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Wow - Jim sure looks young in that photo... Thanks for sharing this picture, Kiefer. A lot of great people there...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Scott P wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:29 am Unfortunately I don't know who those ones are, but people mentioned in the trip report that are not labeled in the photo are Carl (Wesley) and Kelly (moon stalker), and Fepic. Could any of them be any of the missing ones (I don't know)?
blazintoes wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 am Bottom row, third from left, first question mark
Dave Mattingly CarpeDM
Thanks, Scott and Amy!! And for the correction on Carl (not Ben).
I ultimately want to enlarge this and frame it with names.

Jay, HE DOES! And Eric too!! They all (including Bill Middlebrook) skied off Columbia the next day in horrendous winds.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

That is definitely not me in the top row. I'm not that gray yet.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Looks like Dan mcCool in front, between Jim and Gregg.

I think that is John fepic1.
Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:01 pm That is definitely not me in the top row. I'm not that gray yet.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Great photo, Kiefer! Thanks for sharing.

Jim was always so friendly and willing to share his knowledge with others, especially when it came to winter 14ers. I was so thankful for his mentorship, and it ended far too soon. I still go back and reread his legendary trip reports. He, Steve, and Terry are very missed.

(That does look like Dan McCool on the bottom row)
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

d_baker wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:50 pm I think that is John fepic1.
Yep
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Brings back some memories. Thanks for posting this.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

TaylorHolt wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 pm Great photo, Kiefer! Thanks for sharing.

Jim was always so friendly and willing to share his knowledge with others, especially when it came to winter 14ers. I was so thankful for his mentorship, and it ended far too soon. I still go back and reread his legendary trip reports. He, Steve, and Terry are very missed.

(That does look like Dan McCool on the bottom row)
Looks like him, I don't know if he was on that trip, though.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

On the top row, third in from the right in the orange hood is Kelly (Moon Stalker).
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?