Apple Watch Ultra

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yrastorza
Trip Reports (4)

Apple Watch Ultra

Post by yrastorza »

A lot of cool features. Super pricey. Anyone have a personal review?

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-ultra ... --product-
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Apple Watch Ultra

Post by nsaladin »

yrastorza wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 am A lot of cool features. Super pricey. Anyone have a personal review?

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-ultra ... --product-
Battery life is as advertised and a lot better than any other Apple mobile product (still not close to a dedicated fitness watch). The backtrack feature works really really well, and you don’t really even have to enable it before starting a walk or hike, you can easily go off trail for miles and find your exact path back without having your phone or GPS out. The siren for emergencies could be a game changer for someone that takes a fall or becomes immobile and unable to scream for help.

Having been an Apple Watch user prior to this new ultra model, it’s a definite upgrade and does everything I need it to do in the mountains (Strava, Workout recording, navigation by car or foot, phone, sms, email, quick google searches, etc). It’s also has a camera app that will allow you to set your camera on a rock and view the viewfinder of the camera from your watch and take a picture.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

I don't think it's worth the $300 premium over the Series 8, unless you are a scuba diver
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

dan0rama wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 pm I don't think it's worth the $300 premium over the Series 8, unless you are a scuba diver
I prefer the 8 for this price but that's just me.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

dan0rama wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 pm I don't think it's worth the $300 premium over the Series 8, unless you are a scuba diver
If you’re coming from something with great battery life or a previous Apple watch I think it’s worth it. Being able to leave on a Friday morning with 100% battery, recording activities on Saturday and Sunday, and then only having to plug it in Sunday night is a lot better than having to charge each morning to be able to record a full day hike.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

yrastorza wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 am A lot of cool features. Super pricey. Anyone have a personal review?

I held off on Apple Watch, but the Ultra had everything I wanted, plus it seamlessly integrated into Apple's "walled garden." Features I appreciate after two months: battery life, readability, cell, and WiFi connectivity, GPS, and exercise features. health measurements. I've had other smartwatches, from Garmin to Sunnito, but the Ultra seems to balance the health, hiking/climbing, general daily activities, and staying in touch. So far, I'm pleased but I understand others may not like it for their reasons, including price.