Mount Evans Renaming Informal Poll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

There are currently 5 proposals to rename Mount Evans; which do you favor?

1 - Mount Blue Sky : While the Arapaho clearly have ties to the land, this particular name has no historic ties to the mountain itself; the Arapaho people are commonly called the Blue Sky People, but this leaves out the Cheyenne people.
15%
2 - Mount Cheyenne-Arapaho : Again, the Cheyenne and Arapaho have ties to the land, but this name that has no historic ties to the mountain itself; and unfortunately, this name will likely be shortened just like the CU-Boulder dorm of the same name to: Chey-Ho.
1%
3 - Mount Evans : Rededicate for Anne Evans, who climbed the mountain, lived nearby, and donated her extensive Native American Art collection to the Denver Art Museum, making it the first US art museum to collect Native American Art; rededicating for Anne Evans would make it the only 14er named for a woman. Read more about her here: https://www.cogreatwomen.org/project/anne-evans/
40%
4 - Mount Rosalie : This was the only known name of the mountain before it was changed to Evans in 1895, but it would require the nearby peak of same name to also be changed. Renaming it Rosalie would make it the only 14er named for a woman.
12%
5 - Mount Soule : This name has no historic ties to the mountain itself; this honors Silas Soule, who should be commemorated and probably is at the Sand Creek site; read more about him here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Soule
4%
6 - None of these.
28%

Total votes: 240
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Evans Renaming Informal Poll

Post by two lunches »

peter303 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:58 pm This article says some natives unhappy with the proposed name Blue Sky.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Mount Liver and Onions

That's the name with the least number of votes not included in the poll.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

timstich wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 pm Mount Liver and Onions

That's the name with the least number of votes not included in the poll.
I don't have any name I really favor, but I don't really like the idea of calling The Mountain Formerly Known as Evans to Mt. Roasalie. I know that was its original name, but since that name has since been given to the southern sub-peak, I think using that name for the main peak now would just cause too much confusion.