Trailheads with easier access in the winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Trailheads with easier access in the winter

Post by Butthole »

Any advice on trailheads with relatively easier access in the winter? I have the worst car for the winter, so I have to pick my spots carefully. Yeah, the occasional tow and shoveling happens…. But it’s worth it. Many thanks!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trailheads with easier access in the winter

Post by nsaladin »

Butthole wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:59 pm Any advice on trailheads with relatively easier access in the winter? I have the worst car for the winter, so I have to pick my spots carefully. Yeah, the occasional tow and shoveling happens…. But it’s worth it. Many thanks!
Yale, Quandary, Bierstadt, Longs, La Plata, Antero are all on paved roads that are plowed by the state or county. Outside of those you’re gonna be on a dirt road that may or may not have winter maintenance. Might be a few others I’m not thinking of. Longs is obviously the most dangerous of them, and isn’t one to try for a while after do many other winter climbs.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

Thanks!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Elbert's east ridge and Massive from the fish hatchery have 2wd lots. Sunshines east ridge is also 2wd accessible.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Hey Butthole

GREAT username :lol:
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:10 pm Elbert's east ridge and Massive from the fish hatchery have 2wd lots. Sunshines east ridge is also 2wd accessible.
Thanks!
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

greenonion wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:12 pm Hey Butthole

GREAT username :lol:
Hahaha thanks!!
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Not sure if you only mean 14er trailheads or 13ers too. Adding to what’s been said of Sawatch, Willis Gulch is right off the paved road, with a campground that i expect us closed but not patrolled.

Willow lake TH, being quite low, is often accessible. Same goes for Zapata, but those washboards might rattle something loose from your username. On the east side of the Sangres, the rainbow trail/horn peak access is often dry as well.

From Lake City, county rd 30 is plowed to the cataract gulch TH for Half Peak.

Then there are many places where the summer trailhead is not accessible but the walk to it is not too bad. For example, Yankee Boy typically, because the lower road is paved for the mine, or the Long Lake trailhead for various Indian peaks.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

Thanks! Yeah, any of them! Really appreciate it. You guys are the best.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Also Pikes east side (Barr Trail).
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Denny Creek trailhead for Yale is usually accessible. The various trailhead descriptions on this site usually mention winter accessibility. Trailhead condition reports are really useful for planning, too. https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheadsmain.php
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

Jim Davies wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:50 pm The Denny Creek trailhead for Yale is usually accessible. The various trailhead descriptions on this site usually mention winter accessibility. Trailhead condition reports are really useful for planning, too. https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheadsmain.php
Whoa! Thanks!