The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Post by jibler »

Good eyes ekalina!

Yes that looks like a peer of Blue Mtn - which i did from golden gate park this april.

It is a minus in the system to have to pay $$'s to access public land though - I had to pay $10 to hit bennett and blue this spring.

::shakes fist::

I'm now looking hard at little scraggy - I swear peakfinder is being updated in real time because it seems like mtns are being added. i noticed last weekend that you can see sangre di christos from little scrag

that's enough of a view bump to make it very worth it.

but the Gods may be putting up a fight this final round - seemingly going to get 4" snow up there at least.

And then there is a long sought Finale going to happen next month too - finally hitting up Green mtn in boulder. I had been busting up it in cool route in dec. 2019 - but it was a bad day for it - i was coming up for the phish.net "netties" awards show anyway and just tried to squeeze the hike in.

Now it will have a whole day to itself for the big finish. Hopefully!
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

getting excited for tomorrow's run at Little Scraggy tomorrow! I have been back in rampart every nov./dec. the last 3 years now - but this will be the first one with any significant snow on the ground

____

I am hoping this whole thing serves as an advertisement for the method! This stuff is hot. And it hilariously makes things like weather forecasts of more interest to you.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

jibler wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:38 pm getting excited for tomorrow's run at Little Scraggy tomorrow! I have been back in rampart every nov./dec. the last 3 years now - but this will be the first one with any significant snow on the ground

____

I am hoping this whole thing serves as an advertisement for the method! This stuff is hot. And it hilariously makes things like weather forecasts of more interest to you.
I’m pulling for ya, jib!! It’s been quite entertaining following along your jiblering this year!!
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

well got to the top - but not the way i had planned

i was planning to go full monty on little scraggy and take from the north

but had scouted B and C routes that would be shorter from google earth

as i was driving up around the bend getting close to trailhead - a cold steady wind blew and i was already thinking "6 miles of this may suck"

but then it turns out it was forest service cut your own tree day up there - cars everywhere. like everywhere!

so i bailed on the main plan and even the B route had ton of cars - so i parked at the campground on south side - easy lay up for win but i was planning on that kinda anyway. in retrospect - the full monty route would have been really challenging - esp with seme snow on north sides of everything.

mountain should maybe be renamed "Little, but also more, Scraggy peak" because it is like an armadillo on the top.

also was out of that wind on southside - so i had nicer day taboot

but unbeknownst to me - there was snow storm socked in on the evans area - and i could not pull down the hoped for view of sangres either. hell even pike had a cloud hat on all day.

i swear that route on thunder that i took 2 years ago from the east -it looks nuts from this angle. like not do-able if you didn't know better.

edit
Oh and yes - let the record show that I played a never before heard by me phish show (or selections from) on every new hike spot this year - except for april when i hit live webcast on way back that night ("Day Of")

and that actually extends back to last year's new spot run too - from aug thru dec last year i was listening to something new every month - or "day ofs" in august

I came to associate new music with new hiking locations! its part of the magic
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

The sequence has come to its logical conclusion!

climbed green mountain in boulder on saturday - which is the only New Spot in this sequence since may 2017 that i actually returned to to finish it off (having gotten washed out in blizzard up in canyon dec. 2019)

looking at summit

i did not read fineprint - that the view at top is not total 360. ordinarily not that big a deal -but top was fairly crowded plus many boulderites demand that their large dogs get to enjoy very limited summit zone so - yeah - get ready for that.

luckily the day was largely mine anyway - took slightly off kilter route that was pretty dang intense and engaging - I dare say actually "this is the most intense route up I've ever taken on the front range"

which is a helluva way to go out. And add in being serenaded by the Top Phish Show of the Year on the trip helped punch this ticket! 8.5.22. Dwd>Ruby Waves>Dwd as summiting sequence no less.

but yeah - when i say logical conclusion - i mean it too - i could see what is the first New Spot from this place - the secretive Location X in my chart.

and yes - you can see it from there!

it is like gears clicking. like it was Meant to Be. Thanks for paying attention folks.

And i encourage you to get out after your own New Spot Challenge. hottest game ever.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

And we're headed to overtime!!

Down on the Baja near Cabo.

Just took long hike down beach to promontory point with lighthouse.

Actually had sweet chapel up there too.

Was kicking new phish per the rules. 12.28.22.

Awesome seaside cliffs, got some fun scrambing action.

Now may have to try for full calendar year by getting after February?
Last edited by jibler on Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Got some great shots - figured gone this far with you folks might was well keep er rolling....

i went up four times overall. i get antsy on vacation = still need to bust around a little -so this was great for a routine

I had scouted this and hiking to the famous point in cabo itself on google earth - wasn't sure if was gonna do either

plus the cabo one you gotta pay a dude for access - this one i was worried i would hit a 'no trespassing' sign and it would be game over.

this is my approach along beach - heading to lighthouse far right -

i still tried to keep on the downlow - so i unnecessarily went up these cliffs instead of easier walk up section in the open.

i didn't even know there was chapel up there!

you can see it to far right here - and note that little fence set up between us. wasn't much to swing around - but you were at that point swinging out cliffside sort of - i guess they thought that would keep most away

light in there was amazing

plus you could see cabo!

plus plus you could monkey around along the upper cliffs on the lighthouse side a little - and peer down at waves raging ashore

totally counts as New Spot - so yeah now going for the full year cycle - probably something humbler in foothills.

but this was great - such a thrill
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

jibler wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:34 pm Got some great shots - figured gone this far with you folks might was well keep er rolling....

i went up four times overall. i get antsy on vacation = still need to bust around a little -so this was great for a routine

I had scouted this and hiking to the famous point in cabo itself on google earth - wasn't sure if was gonna do either

plus the cabo one you gotta pay a dude for access - this one i was worried i would hit a 'no trespassing' sign and it would be game over.

this is my approach along beach - heading to lighthouse far right -

i still tried to keep on the downlow - so i unnecessarily went up these cliffs instead of easier walk up section in the open.

i didn't even know there was chapel up there!

you can see it to far right here - and note that little fence set up between us. wasn't much to swing around - but you were at that point swinging out cliffside sort of - i guess they thought that would keep most away

light in there was amazing

plus you could see cabo!

plus plus you could monkey around along the upper cliffs on the lighthouse side a little - and peer down at waves raging ashore

totally counts as New Spot - so yeah now going for the full year cycle - probably something humbler in foothills.

but this was great - such a thrill
That’s really cool, jib, but this would’ve taken the cake - the Jimmy Page Villa…

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4751152?so ... zsfS%2BL5y
Last edited by greenonion on Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

that's funny greenonion. hey could you possibly edit your reply to not reprint all my photos? I don't wanna clog up the board with duplicates.

____

you know i always fly in the window seat when in the west - with binoculars!

and coming back it was cloudy most of the way - but there was a small break around four corners because i could see Shiprock from the air. that was totally sick - i never been but i recognized immediately.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

jibler wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:33 pm that's funny greenonion. hey could you possibly edit your reply to not reprint all my photos? I don't wanna clog up the board with duplicates.

____

you know i always fly in the window seat when in the west - with binoculars!

and coming back it was cloudy most of the way - but there was a small break around four corners because i could see Shiprock from the air. that was totally sick - i never been but i recognized immediately.
All done. Sometime it seems photos are omitted when quoting and sometimes not. Sorry for my laziness!
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

thanks for the update comment greenonions

____

one thing i'm looking forward to the the new space in my life beyond the New Spot Challenge?

an escape from the gamification of my hiking routines.

it sort of became a thing with its own momentum - and its own reason for accomplishing things.

____

which is ironic - since i secretly do - sort of -- look down on the 14ers world for being overly committed to their "Lists"

i like to think of myself as a wild seed blowing on the winds -- let the Fates direct me to my next hike - not some List!
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

jibler wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:50 am i like to think of myself as a wild seed blowing on the winds -- let the Fates direct me to my next hike - not some List!
this has been working great for me for the last 10 years. sure, i'm all over the place without a lot of measurable success (as it pertains to "lists") but

(video subject should imply a profanity warning)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis