Trailheads with easier access in the winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trailheads with easier access in the winter

Post by Butthole »

RhodoRose wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 pm Also Pikes east side (Barr Trail).
Great! Thanks!!
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

Mt. Shavano From the trailhead at the Angel of Shavano campgound is at the end of a plowed county road.
I haven't been there for a while, but I recall the road to Kite Lake as being plowed to about 11,000'.
Butthole
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Butthole »

drewski wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:47 pm Mt. Shavano From the trailhead at the Angel of Shavano campgound is at the end of a plowed county road.
I haven't been there for a while, but I recall the road to Kite Lake as being plowed to about 11,000'.
Okay, great! I’ll write that one down. Thanks!
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

drewski wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:47 pm Mt. Shavano From the trailhead at the Angel of Shavano campgound is at the end of a plowed county road.
There's a private mine About 1.5 miles from kite lake TH. If the crews are working they use a loader to clear the snow from the road. The trick is obviously not parking in a way that blocks the road or is on the mine property. You can park a short ways down the slope on public land (if the curb is accessible), or you can hoof it from Paris mill which is 3 miles from the TH.