winter liner gloves?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Taylor Doriani
Trip Reports (0)

winter liner gloves?

Post by Taylor Doriani »

Hi all! What are your favorite liner gloves? I've learned recently that I really need liner gloves because I keep taking off my thicker gloves when I need more dexterity. A friend of mine got liner gloves recently that had touch screen capability, but that feature fell apart quickly. Any ideas on what make that feature more durable?
14er_memer
Trip Reports (0)

Re: winter liner gloves?

Post by 14er_memer »

Patagonia capaline liner gloves have been 10/10 for me as far as dexterity. I wear a thin leather glove over it and it's a great combo for me when touring etc. The glove basically functions as a base layer for your hands
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've used three types depending application all were good: either a synthetic version with an inner heat liner sort like a bivy sack for your hands (worked best in very cold temperatures), mountain hardware power stretch and another of merino wool, which was very thin and worked best as a liner in cold temps but not very cold (sub zero). The power stretch pair doubled as a light glove by itself.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Most liners tend to fall apart after a season in the Rockies. I will say that the Outdoor Research variety lasted much longer than my arcteryx ones did. I would go with a budget pair and plan on replacing them over time. Sorry I couldn’t be anymore specific
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Maintaining touch screen capability is the hardest thing about winter gloves, especially if you do any scrambling. I pick gloves such that my liner, mid-weight, and heavy gloves all have touchscreen capability but unfortunately it doesn't tend to last very long so the above comment of buying reasonable ones and just planning on replacing them is the most realistic option.

But, yes, liner gloves are critical in winter especially if you ever go out with negative double digit wind chills...

In a pinch I sometimes I end up using my nose to operate my phone, lol.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

daway8 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 pmIn a pinch I sometimes I end up using my nose to operate my phone, lol.
Works better than it has any right to!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

AnyGlove (TM) Turns Almost Any Fleece, Fabric or Synthetic Leather Gloves Into Touchscreen Compatible Gloves, iPhone Gloves, Texting Gloves, iPad Gloves https://a.co/d/3bbr14l
DestroyMySweater
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DestroyMySweater »

I've had a lot of problems with iTouch material on gloves, though I think it works better with thin liner gloves than it does with the thicker gloves.
Taylor Doriani
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Taylor Doriani »

nyhiker wrote: a synthetic version with an inner heat liner sort like a bivy sack for your hands
NYhiker, I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'm really curious about this bivy sack for your hands! :-D Do you have a link / example?

daway8 wrote: pick gloves such that my liner, mid-weight, and heavy gloves all have touchscreen capability
daway8, I've never seen heavy/thick gloves that have touch screen capability, do you have an example?

Sorry for the requests for examples, I'm just trying to get a sense of what to look for....
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I've bought many touchscreen liner gloves, and they all lose their touch screen capability pretty quickly, even though the glove is still in great shape. Now I just buy the $10 amazon ones, and replace them cheaply at least.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Taylor Doriani wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:53 pm
daway8 wrote: pick gloves such that my liner, mid-weight, and heavy gloves all have touchscreen capability
daway8, I've never seen heavy/thick gloves that have touch screen capability, do you have an example?

Sorry for the requests for examples, I'm just trying to get a sense of what to look for....
REI usually has a selection of touchscreen gloves of all types (liner, mid-weight, and thick). Lately I've been getting Burton gloves for my thick pair - the kind with zipper pockets on the back to put hand warmers in. On really cold days I'll have apair of Grabber hand warmers (don't get the cheapo Hot Hands from Walmart) in my palm and another pair in the zipper pocket of the thick gloves. I always make sure to have liner gloves below the others so that I don't have to expose bare skin to the cold.

The nice thing is that even if you have non-touchscreen liners on below them the Burton gloves still allow you to function your phone. Some with the OR mid-weight gloves I use when scrambling in winter.
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

Taylor Doriani wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:26 pm Hi all! What are your favorite liner gloves? I've learned recently that I really need liner gloves because I keep taking off my thicker gloves when I need more dexterity. A friend of mine got liner gloves recently that had touch screen capability, but that feature fell apart quickly. Any ideas on what make that feature more durable?
So if it’s just about using a touch screen, you could go super old-school and buy a stylus. I picked one up a few years ago and carry it with me when I’m on *really* cold outings, so I don’t have to take any outer-layer gloves off at all. They cost $5-$10.

Worked for me.