2023 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 2023 Goals

Post by hellmanm »

Well, assuming today's MRI brings good news:

Goal #0: Get my conditioning back, lose about 10 lbs of fat while putting on some muscle and improving flexibility/mobility. Basically, be more ready for the season than in years' past.

In-season:
Goal #1: finish the 14ers
  • Mount Princeton
    Mount Oxford
    Tabeguache Peak
    Blanca Peak
    Little Bear Peak
    Longs Peak
    Capitol Peak
    Uncompahgre Peak

Goal #2: a dozen 13ers, preferably Cents.
Goal #3: Do at least 1 14er/13er snow climb
Goal #4: Do at least 1 class 5 14er/13er climb
Goal #5: Do a backpacking/peakbagging trip of 5+days

This is all malleable, of course. Let's see how it pans out.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

JROSKA wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:14 pm Scott -

I would welcome any possibility to hike Sunlight with someone since my current plan is just to take the train in and do Sunlight / Windom solo in mid-August. For me the train with a camp in the Basin is how I’d want to go. Even though I couldn’t get all 4 this past summer, that plan worked pretty well in getting the Eolus group.

- Jeff R
Peaks such as Sunlight are certainly solo-able, but one reason I suggested joining forces is because if you take the train in at least, the number of groups is limited.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

the vast majority of my 2023 goals are running-related, so I won't bother to list them here.

on the peakbagging front, i'm looking at the possibility of a spring trip to Smokies NP and bag some state high points (NC/SC/GA/TN) while i'm there. and still considering Katahdin, but don't think my summer schedule is likely to cooperate with getting up to Maine that time of year this year. nothing out west for me this year i'm afraid.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Being really vague to the point of not actually saying much of anything at all worked pretty well for me this year, so I think I’ll keep up that trend.

But to be just a tetch more specific (though not so much as to be worried that I’m once again loading the pistol and carefully aiming it at my foot), I would like to spend more time doing fun stuff in the mountains (scenic hikes, skiing) and less doing not-so-fun-for-me stuff (scrambling).
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Yeeeess. Now we're talking.
As far as Colorado goes, The Castles is high up on the wishlist. The ever-vague "5.10 What-the-F***" grade is not promising.
Steamboat would be incredibly cool. I have a vague recollection of an eastern summit route? I once scoured GEarth thinking a northern approach would take you within a few bolt ladder slab pitches.
Otherwise I share Tom's goal of gradually picking off 5th class peaks. In winter, I'd like to summit all 5th class 13ers. This leaves Whitney and Peak 15 I believe, with the latter being the only true challenge requiring exceptional conditions.
That's about the limit of my local ambitions; everything else is somewhat play-by-ear or based on partner stoke.
Scott P wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:01 pm
TomPierce wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:19 pm 1) Climbing: I've been working on a climbing project, the ranked Colorado 5th class peaks list, off & on for years. The list is actually a bit fluid with LIDAR, some new peaks pop on, older peaks fall off.
I wonder what Steamboat Rock goes at? The only route I have ever heard of is the Kor and that goes at 5.10+ A2+ and that's an old school rating and doesn't visit the summit. The north ridge is probably the easiest route, but looks gnarly. Either way, this one is likely way beyond my ability.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:54 pm Yeeeess. Now we're talking.
As far as Colorado goes, The Castles is high up on the wishlist. The ever-vague "5.10 What-the-F***" grade is not promising.
Steamboat would be incredibly cool. I have a vague recollection of an eastern summit route? I once scoured GEarth thinking a northern approach would take you within a few bolt ladder slab pitches.
Otherwise I share Tom's goal of gradually picking off 5th class peaks. In winter, I'd like to summit all 5th class 13ers. This leaves Whitney and Peak 15 I believe, with the latter being the only true challenge requiring exceptional conditions.
That's about the limit of my local ambitions; everything else is somewhat play-by-ear or based on partner stoke.
Scott P wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:01 pm
TomPierce wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:19 pm 1) Climbing: I've been working on a climbing project, the ranked Colorado 5th class peaks list, off & on for years. The list is actually a bit fluid with LIDAR, some new peaks pop on, older peaks fall off.
I wonder what Steamboat Rock goes at? The only route I have ever heard of is the Kor and that goes at 5.10+ A2+ and that's an old school rating and doesn't visit the summit. The north ridge is probably the easiest route, but looks gnarly. Either way, this one is likely way beyond my ability.
If you do either, just leave a fixed rope from the summit. I'll buy you a beer if you do! Ha ha... :lol:
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:54 pmIn winter, I'd like to summit all 5th class 13ers.
That would be an incredible achievement!
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

should be going for k2 and broad peak in 23, would like to get in ~15 ski descents this year other than that
TheHikingTexan
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 178 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by TheHikingTexan »

Make a dent in the Front Range 13ers, including a few in Rocky Mountain NP.
Down to 27-28 peaks left on the Bi-cent list. Hope to get that number down into the teens.
Need to finally get to Ice Lakes Basin while hitting the above goal!
Hit a few summits on our family trip to Olympic and North Cascades NPs in July.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

There's a lot of stuff I would like to climb this year!

Mountains

New Mountains
14ers
Massive
Elbert
Holy Cross
Princeton
Harvard
Colombia
Missouri
Shaven
Tabeguache
Antero
Pikes
Other mountains (the majority of these are ipw/rmnp)
The Citadel
Mt. Alice
Pagoda
Tanima
Chapin
Ypsilon
Fairchild
Hagues
Mummy
Flattop
Otis
Taylor
Toll
Paiute
Apache

Repeat mountains
14ers
Bierstadt
Longs
Other mountains
Audubon
Navajo
Chief's Head

Mountains I would like to do, but are not necessary
14ers
Sneffels
Other mountains
McHenrys
Circle Peaks Traverse (Mt. Ida to Terra Tomah)
South Arapaho
North Arapaho

Hiking Goals
225 Miles during the summer, 300 during the whole year
75,000 feet of gain during the summer, 90,000 during the whole year
Hike three 15+ mile days
Hike 8000+ feet of gain in a day
Hike every month of the year
Climb a couloir
Climb more Class 3
Climb something using a rope

Other Goals
Ski 10 days
Climb a 5.11+/5.12- in the gym
Run the BolderBoulder again (sub 50 mins)
Hiking when possible
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Scott P wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:09 pm
Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:54 pmIn winter, I'd like to summit all 5th class 13ers.
That would be an incredible achievement!
This!

But also, how was Coxcomb in winter? Did you do a trip report for that anywhere? Doesn't seem to be one on this site. I bet it is gorgeous back there in winter!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 pm should be going for k2 and broad peak in 23, would like to get in ~15 ski descents this year other than that
I wish you good luck on this one too. That would also be a really impressive accomplishment.