2023 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2023 Goals

Post by climbingcue »

Get the Bicentennials down to Mosquito currently at 190 so I can finish on a snowboard in spring of 2024
Continue my streak of at least one 13er or 14er per month
Get as many snowboarding days in as possible on my IKON full pass and break the million vertical feet dropped for the second year.
Splitboard some more 14ers and 13ers
More 14er snowflakes
Dallas and Coxcomb for the 2nd time
Lizard Head
Get to 180 14er summits
Get to 300 13er summits including unranked
Grand Teton
All the Idaho 12ers
Mt Rainier
Break 200k vertical feet climbed again
Finish the last grand traverse in Colorado, I need Little Bear, Blanca
Bells traverse for the 2nd time
Attend the Fall and Winter Welcomers
Go with partners on their 14er finishers
Last edited by climbingcue on Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

14ers:
- Torrey's Peak via Kelso Ridge
- Mt Bierstadt via Sawtooth
- Mt Evans (with Bierstadt)
- Mt of the Holy Cross
- Mt Antero
- Huron Peak
- Mt Belford
- Mt Oxford (with Belford)
- Missouri Mountain
- La Plata Peak

13ers:
Mt Edwards
Mt Argentine (with Edwards)
Holy Cross Ridge (with Mt of the Holy Cross)
Unnamed 13248 (with Mt of the Holy Cross)

I hope to do more if weather permits and events at home allow me more time in Colorado.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Summit 12 new winter Fourteeners (priorities- Chicago Basin, N. Maroon & Wilson group)
Finish the Bicentennials
Peaks 15, 16 and Little Finger
"Center Shift" on Vestal
Lizard Head
Hvannadalshnukur- Highest point in Iceland (August)
Kirkjufell- Also Iceland
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

20 ski days
10 winter summits
More wemi
Mt Rainer
Get 13ers down to finish in 2024
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

In the elevation-based list department, I'm hoping to finish or seriously chip away at:
  • Weminuche 13ers (easy) -- Mostly outliers left, plus one annoying Endlich Mesa peak.
  • Montana 12ers (moderate) -- Can be done in a week or less with good timing.
  • Canadian Rockies 11ers (hard) -- Remote, with significant mountaineering challenges. Only a handful of people have climbed them all.
I have plans beyond that, but they're too underspecified to be called "goals."
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Tornadoman - Excellent! Though assuredly controversial relative to the MadMike sorts who can tough out some impressive approaches.

Brief write up from January this year:
I had a soft goal once upon a time to do Colorado's 5th class 13ers in winter. Coxcomb, Peak 15, and Whitney's belly flop summit remained, but interest waned, and particularly because few partners are interested in others' arbitrary goals. But in an unusual stroke, both partners and conditions aligned for Coxcomb. With a caveat: Boggy has a motorized Snow Dog (think lawn mower with a snow tread) and planned to ride the groomed track over Owl Creek.

The ethics around winter peak bagging can be admittedly absurd. 14er and Centennial ethicists abhor snow mobiles, but will readily take advantage of the increasingly frequent barren winters to drive to summer trailheads and lace up trail runners. I used to disparage riding snow mobiles to the Bells. As if hiking groomed roadways demonstrates mountaineering prowess? Rather, I think it detracts. Imagine a single potato chip served as the amuse bouche before a 5-course meal.

Luckily with arbitrary goals chased by none and heralded by even fewer, you get to establish ethics. I've followed the approach "rules" established for the high peaks; here I breached them for full transparency. My ethics state that if 1) one of your best climbing partners and friends invites you to scout ice climbs in the West Fork, and 2) is willing for a side jaunt up Coxcomb, then grab on to the tug rope and slide across the groomers.
--
The Cimarron Range, and particularly the West Fork, is one of my favorite places in the state. Volcaniclastic hoodoo towers lap in abundance against improbable soaring cliffs. Solid rock is nowhere to be found. Boulders embedded in clay, best to dance across them when frozen.

The West Fork is well tracked by the redneck crew. Fireball whiskey bottles, a bullet-ridden Coors can, and gas station shades discarded in the snow, old snow mobile tracks ignoring the tip of the "Wilderness" sign just barely peeking above the snow. The Snow Dog isn't a true snow machine, so we stop well short and snowshoe across avulsing tracks in a bitter cold. The tracks go surprisingly high along steep slopes and I no longer question how snowmobilers trigger so many avalanches.

We leave the tracks and the trenching is more than expected. Maybe 1-2 feet over a stable base. Nothing to complain about. Boggy brought a friend, Aaron. Aaron is perhaps the best rock and ice climber among us, but perhaps less familiar with mountaineering. He also lights up at every stop, fumes lazing over empty valleys. I have no problem with that and he's a hilarious guy, but it possibly affects his pace. Boggy, new to fatherhood, paces somewhere between Aaron and I.

We had eyes on the North Face route, but it appears as sugar snow over s**t rock. We trench between boulder monoliths and stable slopes, up and over the pass into Cow Creek. The south side has less snow, but it's already wet and heavy. Up the slopes to the cruxy chimney.

The chimney is harboring some snow and ice. I start to scramble it but Boggy points out that we brought rope and rack. Good call. While Aaron dons crampons, I start up. I place a hand piece to protect the first step, plus a black totem at the top of the easier section. Boggy and Aaron start simuling as I reach the chimney. Some snow excavation and ice warrant a few more pieces as I wedge up and hook constrictions. Fun stemming a bit more engaging than in summer. Above the chimneys, I give them a stance belay. They're both much better with tools than I, so I keep on going up the snow. They're up shortly and we unrope briefly before the short rappel.

Side walk traversing makes for scenic shots. The sun warms us briefly as we enjoy the summit. We string lines and rappel the north face. It looks better than I thought, but a whole lot of loose rock. The south side was probably a better call; warmer, more enjoyable and the same amount of time. We follow goat tracks down avalanche slopes and bowls, but conditions are currently benign. Some more trenching brings us back to the redneck highway. Further on, Boggy hops on the Snow Dog and throws out the tug line. We're more than happy for the assist up the pass.
--
Peak 15 is the only worrisome 5th classer left. I believe that south side gully is south facing. All in all, I anticipate a healthy amount of slogging for lesser avalanche risk in a good year. We'll see when the next opportunity presents itself for partners chasing arbitrary goals.
Boggy on the Ridge
Boggy on the Ridge
20220130_123935.jpg (197.78 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Chimney
Chimney
20220130_115050.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 761 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Thread drift: For a winter Peak 15 attempt, what about coming in through NY Basin? I know, I know...non-traditional and probably near horrific with snow, but it might minimize the below-timberline travel and I think it could be a safer pick re: slide paths. I haven't done it but it might be worth considering. Fwiw, the standard route gully on 15 is, I think (?), more NNW facing as I recall. Finally, I vaguely recall another route up 15 from the gully one over from the standard. Maybe there's a TR here on that (for some reason seano's reports come to mind, but I could be off on that)? If that is true, it might be a south-facing rock route option that might be superior in winter. Regardless, good luck!

OK, back to goals! These are fun to read.

-Tom
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Shitty five years has got me out of shape, but happily trending back towards fitter times.

1. Pawnee-Buchannan
2. Squat > 360lbs
3. Weight < 210
4. Ski > 10 peaks, don't care about their elevation or level of radness
5. Finally time Whole Enchilada correct to ride the entire thing
6. Move on after divorce
Make wilderness less accessible.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:58 pm Thread drift: For a winter Peak 15 attempt, what about coming in through NY Basin? I know, I know...non-traditional and probably near horrific with snow, but it might minimize the below-timberline travel and I think it could be a safer pick re: slide paths. I haven't done it but it might be worth considering. Fwiw, the standard route gully on 15 is, I think (?), more NNW facing as I recall. Finally, I vaguely recall another route up 15 from the gully one over from the standard. Maybe there's a TR here on that (for some reason seano's reports come to mind, but I could be off on that)? If that is true, it might be a south-facing rock route option that might be superior in winter. Regardless, good luck!

-Tom
the standard route up 15 seems like it would be fine, the gully would hold snow and rock climby parts all melted

the real reason 15 hasnt been climbed in winter is the approach
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:37 pm
TomPierce wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:58 pm Thread drift: For a winter Peak 15 attempt, what about coming in through NY Basin? I know, I know...non-traditional and probably near horrific with snow, but it might minimize the below-timberline travel and I think it could be a safer pick re: slide paths. I haven't done it but it might be worth considering. Fwiw, the standard route gully on 15 is, I think (?), more NNW facing as I recall. Finally, I vaguely recall another route up 15 from the gully one over from the standard. Maybe there's a TR here on that (for some reason seano's reports come to mind, but I could be off on that)? If that is true, it might be a south-facing rock route option that might be superior in winter. Regardless, good luck!

-Tom
the standard route up 15 seems like it would be fine, the gully would hold snow and rock climby parts all melted

the real reason 15 hasnt been climbed in winter is the approach
Found it. Seano's report ( here: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=17425 ) suggests from the notch the climb up 15 via the alternate I mentioned would be 4th class/5.0 (not suggesting one would climb Turret too). Satellite imagery suggests the route would mostly be sun-facing. As for the approach, NY Basin would be shortest or at least tied with Ruby. When I was in NY last time I don't recall any slide paths you'd cross getting into it. I've been up/down Ruby...4 times? Maybe 5, albeit in summer. Would be tough doing that in winter, but maybe? But then you'd have to go into NY Basin anyway. Why not consider a more direct approach? Just an idea, I'm rooting for Ryan's goal!
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Nanga Parbat
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'd like to get half-way from where I am to finishing the list. 15 to go to let's call it 8. Priority on:
Mt. of the Holy Cross
S Maroon
Pyramid
Snowmass
Kit Carson+Challenger

I signed up for the Triple Bypass again. Did it in 2021 and had fun so main goal is enjoyment.

Stay healthy.

Regular dawn patrols would be nice.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com